Headphones for mixing that can take a beating as well

My need is very defined and limited. Mixing, no tracking outside line in-sources, no vocals. For casual listening, I got a set of really bad Marshalls that I really like :slightly_smiling_face:

In that case I’d just make sure to use the case when taking the mixing cans out :wink: I’m sure the 1840s will serve you well.

1 Like

Yes … :smirk:

Thanks for the information. If only the CXM was smaller - as it is, I don’t have the space for it and the Golden is good enough for my uses of reverb. I’ve jumped on the Thermae train instead because I was missing a versatile analog delay and also because of its small form factor. The Mood mkii sounds interesting with is reverb/delay/granular thing. Maybe one day … :cool:

1 Like

Yeah, and it’s stereo (the Mood).

I’m telling you, if this is what we can expect from Chase Bliss in the future, we’re in for it. I’m just waiting for a stereo delay from them, or a stereo looper, with all the quirky stuff that just seems to come so naturally for them.

2 Likes

I also have the Audeze LCD 1… posted about them in an earlier thread. I really like them, and they seem solid enough… sound great

I’ll be waiting with bated breathe…

:wink:

Cheers!

2 Likes

Well, they’re certainly holding out on us. Shipping’s still on hold. Since their store is local here in Sweden, I assumed they’d be getting this out the door in just a few hours, as is their custom. But now, there’s nothing. Could be the infamous Swedish vacation thing kicking into high gear, though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:disappointed:

2 Likes

Right, so I got them cans now and have given them a first spin.

Difference between these and my AKG:s are night and day. They’re brutally revealing. Twice as expensive, but for the purpose, worth every penny if you want something that doesn’t lie to you in the harshest way you can imagine.

I’ll be back with something more thorough and detailed, but for now, I’ll just say this was definitely a step up.

5 Likes

Brutality is good.

When it comes to sound design and mixing, honesty is always the best policy.

I’ve been looking for some new cans. I’ll be awaiting your review.

It’s down to these or the Senn HD600s for me.

The deal is though, I’ll want to use them on the road, so they gotta be tough.

Cheers!

1 Like

Gonna keep my eyes on these new Audeze MM 100… $399

My DT 770 pro headphones (80 ohms) arrived. I can only add my voice to the choir of praise these have gotten in this thread. Very comfy to wear, sturdily built but lightweight, and I can’t complain about the sound at all, especially for 140€. My only minor gripe is the cable, it’s a bit long for most of my use cases (using it with an M8 or op-1f) and non-detachable. It allows for more flexibility when recording guitar though. Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

2 Likes

I’m hopeful about these as well, as I’m really wanting a more affordable pair of Planar headphones to monitor sub-bass frequencies; but Audeze headsets (not their high-end headphones) have a reputation for the headband snapping, and this looks to share the same design as the Maxwell headset.
Issues do not seem as widespread with Maxwell as they were with Mobius/Penrose, but they would definitely fall under “treat with care” rather than “takes a beating.”

I’m tempted to pick up the Maxwell headset rather than the MM-100 though, as they can handle simultaneous Bluetooth and wired audio, which would be very useful for me.
If only the MM-100 had that feature - because I really prefer open-back headphones to closed ones.

Yeah, I have the LCD 1 and I’ve seen a few reports of the band or connection part snapping which isn’t great considering the price. I rate the sound but there is still that awareness that these aren’t built to last. I’ll probably wait and see on the reviews on the MM 100. I’m in that mindset that if you are paying half decent money then at least make something durable enough for the intended use. It can’t be that hard.

How are they comfort wise? I wear glasses and the Audeze LCD 1 are not great in the comfort dept.

1 Like

After an hour or two, you’ll feel a subtle itch around the frame by your ears. Taking a break for a few minutes per hour, which is a good idea anyway when you work with headphones, resolves this for me.

But yes, you’ll likely notice after some time.

1 Like

Thanks - with the LCD 1’s there’s a constant tightness over the frame arms, and I find myself thinking about that more than the music at times.

I reckon there’s a market for a new design of glasses frames that ‘slot’ into existing headphones through some sort of clamp on the headband…. or maybe not - maybe Dyson will develop some like those daft looking purification headphones. :grinning:

1 Like

Haha looking on Amazon now :rofl:

1 Like

So after a few weeks on my new Shure cans, the short review is that if you can stomach it, they’re worth the cost. I was happy with my AKG:s but these guys run circles around the ones I used before.

I’m no engineer so I don’t think I can adequately express why they’re better, only that I hear stuff I didn’t hear before and that I’m re-learning some of my old tracks and flinching as I put some stuff out there and listen to them afterwards and go “Ooh, that hurt”, and can tell from going back to the track with the Shure cans what went wrong, only I couldn’t pick up on it, but I could hear it, now that I know it went wrong.

If that makes sense.

So yeah, these cans stay.

And some other gear goes, since I can’t afford them otherwise.

Actually gonna say bye bye to my Sequential stuff, I think. For many reasons. But it’s time now, I think.

3 Likes