Headphone Recommendations?

Also, I really like your Soundcloud tracks… listening to Effective Human Interface Technology… but listened to a few, and they’re cool. Sound good on my HD25s!

1 Like

I Amazon Prime’d a set of the Yaxi’s yesterday and received them today, they really are an improvement… I have them on now. :+1:

1 Like

But, who used NS10s as their main monitors? Quincy Jones also used tiny speakers to check mixes, but do you think he mixed Off the Wall on them? (He didn’t).

I agree. But, the quality of headphones differ greatly, and perception alone can’t account for all of it. If your headphones veil a certain frequency area, you can’t just make objective decisions about that area because of your experience. You might have a strategy to deal with it, but it’s just that.

I agree. I mixed on $30 headphones for years. But, I disagree that it’s good advice.

Shure 1540s. I use them with my Digis and they are awesome.

Nice to read that ! :smiley:

So after reading a few mentions of them in audiophile and production forums I decided to try a pair of Status Audio CB-1 headphones for mixing. People compare them favorably to some heavyhitter studio HPs so for $50 shipped thought I’d give them a shot… will update with my impressions when they arrive.

They look like a great deal. Please report back what you think of them.

Hi guys I really need your help.
I have ben trawling online for days on what headphones to purchase for mixing and mastering strictly EDM (House/techno).
I need to make a decision by the end of the day.
I will constantly travelling so they need to be durable.

I have narrowed them down to:
Sennheiser HD 600 (might need a portable amp to drive them though?)
DT 990 / 880
AKG K-712 Pro
EDIT Focal Spirit Pro (But I hear the build quality is bad which isn’t suitable for me) :frowning:

Is there any I have missed?
Any insight would be appreciated as I’ve been going round in circles for ages. Thanks

As in you intend to use them on the move ? Aren’t 990s open? Might not be very suited to use on a train. Was reading about 990s the other day and heard they’ve got a high bump that’s a bit fatiguing. Always was interested in them though they’re very good looking and I’ve heard good things in the other hand. I use krk kns8400. No complaints. Can’t comment on anything else

I have no problems driving my HD650 from the Elektrons or my mixer.

Yeah I’m always on the move. However I believe closed backs make the mix more narrow?
Yes I believe the 990s are also open back, but that they also suffer from a boosted high and low (not what you’re really looking for)
On the other hand the general coconscious is that the 600s lack in the low department.
I’ll check out the krks though :slight_smile:

Okay, so I should be alright with driving them through the macbook.
How do you feel about the 650s? I hear the low end is a bit boosted?

Yeah open backs will be better for mixing in general but not if it’s mixing with train noise etc. I’d grab something closed personally for some quick dirty mixes in public and then sort it out later on my monitors or if that’s not an option prob some open backs. 2 pairs won’t hurt but it really depends how light you’re trying to travel and what your budget is

1 Like

Before you buy expensive cans, you should have a pair of Sony 7506 and Monoprice 8323s.

The Sonys are better built and are a “standard” for mixing & mastering, but the Monoprice cans seem to have a little more bass.

Here’s where @craig recommends the Audeze LCD-1’s, haha. He swears by them. I’m using the TMA-2 by AIAIAI. Now that I am used to them, I think they work rather well for me and are very comfortable. Plus, they are modular, so you can mix and match to your budget / preference.

3 Likes

I would love to use monitors but I will really be on the road for the next two years.
My budget is £200 and need to travel quite light. I already have hd25s for DJing

Thanks for the tip but I won’t be in a county where I can get my hands on good cans for a very long time, so it’s important to invest now.

I like them; very comfortable, a bit more ‘air’ than my other more dj oriented cans HD25/26. Overall they sound quite unspectacular, flat - probably as they should. But I cannot compare with other, more high-end headphones. I guess in the end of the day, it matters most that you know your reference tracks for comparison, etc.

I did check out the Audeze LCD-1’s however they blow my budget out of the water :frowning:
I’m at around £200

Also have a look at headphone correction software like sonarworks, since you are working with a computer… much information on this forum about it, for example this: