Have you a music instrument that has GAINED in value over the years?

yep

and YEP!

3 Likes

I bought a bit of Cwejman back when used modules sold for 70-80% new pricesā€¦

Only the original Hoover will do.

4 Likes

Donā€™t, Iā€™ll start crying.
Something broke in my brain once at a rave and now hoovers make me very emotional.

13 Likes

My oto biscuit went up in value ( bought new and now theyā€™re rare )

I sold my Avalon for more than I paid too ( also bought new )

I sold my Juno 106 and mc202 too early To make real profit.
And mono machine and machine drum went up too.
Probably bought more things that lost value / became worthless ( like patch blocks )

Oh you definitely deserve to get yourself one.

1 Like

@sabana ā€¦yes.

And it sounds great

Last March I bought a korg ESX-1 for $350 CAD (used). It had slight knob jitter issues which I was able to fix with some cleaning of the knobs inside.
Sold it for $550 a few months later and bought my first elektron device the digitakt, never looked back! :smiley:

I sold my Tb-303, after buying it for Ā£950. It went for Ā£1800 a couple of years later. I had added the Sequentix midi bass 2 mod, got the resonance pot changed and all the tact switches replaced (by Synth Repair Services - excellent!). I used the funds to get AR-1, SV-1 and a Beatstep-Pro. I dont think any of them have gone up in value yet! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Like many people in this thread, Monomachine mk2+ and MD mk2 UW+. Bought them last year for 800ā‚¬ and 900ā‚¬ respectively. Monomachine was last summer pretty soon after the Thom Yorke interview seemed to make the prices skyrocket. Crazy how much those go for right now.

I donā€™t think that MD & MnM has gained in value from their original prices. Bought my MD in 2001 (original SPS-1) for around 2000 C$. Today, itā€™s listed at around 1000-1200 C$. Shure it gained value in the last years with all the hype surrounding the Silver Boxes but no way Iā€™m gonna sell it at its original price or more. Maybe in 10 or 20 years.

Fender Rhodes mk1 now worth over 5 times what i paid for it.

Fully Restored action etc helps the valueā€¦but of course its worth far more to me than cash value.

2 Likes

Got a Zyklus MPS with 3 cartridges for free as part of a studio clearance deal in around '94, they were Ā£1999 new in '88 and Iā€™d wanted one since reading about what it was capable of. Sold it in the early 2000ā€™s for Ā£500. They go for Ā£2k+ again nowā€¦

It formed the inspiration for my moniker (but as ā€œDer Zyklusā€ released music before me, had adopt zYklen instead).

1 Like

I bought mine new for a little over 700Eur in 2015. My first hardware drummachine.

Will never sell it.

Nah, okay for 3000eur I would think about it.

:tongue:

1 Like

:sweat_smile:

I got rid of my vintage analog gear at a bad time.

Sold my Polysix for 650ā‚¬, nowadays they fetch almost double. Same thing happened with my Juno-106 and my Mono/Poly.

But then again I had managed to get all of them for an even lower price originally (Polysix for 30ā‚¬ at a thrift store, Mono/Poly for free from a dumpster etc.)

I also scored big with my original Korg MS-20. Bought it broken for 800ā‚¬ and got it fixed. A few years later I sold it for 1400ā‚¬. The timing was impeccable, maybe a month later Korg announced the MS-20 Mini and the originalā€™s prices went down a bit.

1 Like

All my elektron gear I bought last year went up in value by around 30% because of COVID, think I gained near $5000 AU dollars

4 Likes

My WĆ¼rlitzer 200A has gone up in price quite a lot lately. Bought it for 50 Euros 20 years ago, and spend about 200 fixing it up - Now they sell for everything between 1300 to 2500 euros depending on the state they are in :slight_smile:

Also my FS1R has become more valuable since I bought it, maybe by 30-50%

I donā€™t really use any of them atm, but I donā€™t feel like parting with them either, since they represent sentimental value (the Wurlitzer) and unlocked potential (the FS1R).

Made marginal profits on a few things over the years, but these things usually even out in the long run, or most likely iā€™m probably down overall. Win some, lose some, but I buy what I think I want and donā€™t think about resale.

Iā€™ve doubled the price I paid for an E-MU Command Station, of which I had 2 of. I donā€™t have the space anymore for excess gear and especially doubles.