Have a question comparing Digitakt to Machinedrum

miidi implementation is different
I think on the DT you can play tracks from midi = note will play the sample chromaticaly
in the md = a not trig a track (so then you have to use something like a CC translater to play chromaticaly) (boring)

1 Like

I’ve owned both, MD i still have and use every session. Live resampling is really fun and useful, I really like how they implemented it.

The MD is gorgeous.

LFO city, and you’re the mayor! :-):grinning:

2 Likes

they’re very different, both have their strengths.

1 Like

Acquired a DT recently and the plan was to sell the MD… but they are so different. The only thing I really miss on the MD is conditional trigs but I’ve found nothing out there with anything like the same versatility of percussion synthesis.

I expect I’ll keep both… :smiley:

1 Like

Couldn’t you use the digitakt to conditionally trig the sounds on the MD?

I’ve done that with the digitakt and some external drum machines.

2 Likes

Anyone have an MD and OT? I really like the synthesis options of the MD (always have) but compared to the OT the sequencer seems to be lacking, especially since I really make use of the different track lengths and speeds, and conditional trigs. Anyone have examples of using them together to bridge the gap?

i have both but i use em separately. Pick one unit and write a live set on it, then pick another for the next set.
The sequencer shortcomings of the MD imo are of little importance when you get busy with all its other glorious modulation. its just a slightly different approach to get it moving.

3 Likes

I think MD+OT is a very solid combo. They work very well together sonically.

I’ve been meaning to do another combo session with the two of them. I’m just not good at sample composition- mostly I use samples to add spice to the song

1 Like

For sure. I just thought I’d highlight the DT’s synthesis capabilities since it seemed absent from people’s thoughts on the two. More limited in ways but for half the price I couldn’t be happier with it for what it is.

1 Like

I have both, it’s my main rig. I’ve used the OT for conditional trigs on the MD. But mostly I play the MD straight and then sample and chop with the OT, and then cue out to my AH and delay box and goto far away lands. But then I usually bring it back home with the MD that has been playing the whole time. MD running on a thru track. I also run my iPad into the inputs of the MD and use the live resampling to create a variant of what I’ve been playing on the iPad.

It’s fun.

1 Like

I sold my MD after getting the DT, mostly because I like to keep my setup compact. I don’t regret the sale but it was a lovely machine all the same. For me, the limited sequencer was the reason I got the DT, and I have a Nord Lead 4 which is great for synthy drums - I hardly need much more than 4 of them at a time, and if I do, I sample.

I also got a 1010 music Blackbox to make up for some of the shorcomings of the DT, and together with a synth, the two are a killer combo. Maybe some day I’ll do a live gig with a setup like that.

The MD is an amazing box though, and one of my favourite tricks was to have it sample and make drum sounds on the go, out of practically any live sound source you fed it.