Hardware to VJ with

Hi folks

Does anyone use hardware to VJ with?

I’d love to find something that could sample visuals from hdmi, but also be capable of external midi sequencing (say from the OT)

Having looked around a bit, it seems like most of the interesting looking visual samplers didn’t last long

The Korg one around 12 years ago looked really good, but is probably too old (and hard to find)

The Roland/edirol p-10 (no longer produced, and looks like no hdmi input) but looks pretty cool

The OPZ sounds interesting but seems like you can only sequence the ready made videos

Any other alternatives, or up coming products???

Any experiences sequencing visuals from the OT (or other)

Cheers

Can’t ableton live sequence vids?

Thanks but I dont want to use a computer

If you feel like getting into modular territory, theres LZX Industries, but thats composite. A computer is probably the best for this currently. Max/Jitter is a great software for resampling video. Otherwise yes, vintage gear is the option. There are definately boxes out there for capturing via hdmi, but then you are running into a pretty basic hard drive box, or otherwise capturing it in a computer. I think you could achieve what you want with hardware for the sequencing, but doing it without a computer will be tricky. I know Atom™ uses an MPC1000 to simaeltaneously play sound and midi triggering of video, and he completely hides the laptop while performing from the box only. Incidently he uses a pretty basic video software also.

Otherwise why not hunt down a P-10? Looks fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you feel adventurous get a Vectrex or an analogue oscilloscope, mod it and do stuff like this with it:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMqAZP_-wibLoAoxVByfasg

OP Z allows you to sequence your own images and your own UNITY 3d elements.

2 Likes

I don’t know any VJs not using a computer these days tbh.

Although, the guy who did visuals for my monthly events, used to have an array of old-film projectors. He spliced his own film loops and threw the projections around the room, onto inflatable white balls.

Made for very unique visuals.

1 Like

VDMX or RESOLUME / Midi linked / Ableton
2 computer is best

Resolume is nice because you can use Adobe Animate CC (Flash) and Actionscript and make pretty cool things with code to get data with internet and inject that in text field, etc…

Otherwise you have Alpha channel of course of both to make different layers follow different clip and associate on top of each other

Nice if you imagine part of song as visuals or instruments as actions/characters/ etc…

Love this video, the music is great, and the visuals! I wouldn’t want to get into modular, compact suits me best!

If it does that could be a good solution
Only thing is, it seems to require that you make music with the opz to be able to sequence the images
Keeping my eye on that one

1 Like

I might end up buying an older box
The P-10 looks fun, just lacks modern I/O , and maybe a lack of creative options too
https://proav.roland.com/global/products/p-10/

Roland have continued to make products, but not really sample orientated
https://proav.roland.com/global/products/v-4ex/
looks great but doesnt seem to sample

The Korg Kaptivator looks really cool, but 2005, might be hard to get the images in and out
https://vimeo.com/83851554

Thanks for the ideas, I’d just rather avoid using a computer

Why ? your after vintage results ?

Due lack of funds, i gave up on VJ programs… I just do clever stuff with obs, and create visually more appealing streams… Not of fancy / configurable, but with clever stuff… is funny… and doesnt break bank…

Cos my PC is cheap, and everyone I’ve ever known who worked with VJ programs had their Pc’s crash or not work properly
I just thought it would be cool to add a box to my (machine only) live set up that could do visuals, and ideally have them synced via midi

1 Like

If you have an ipad then colorcode seems great. Its really easy i heard. I dont have it myself but thinking about getting it. I saw a guy did an hardware live gig and used his ipad for visuals. He used colorcode.

1 Like

Buying an ipad might be the best option, I could also use strom and other apple only apps for music
Don’t know how much you have to spend and what annoyingly apple specific cables you need to output the video though

I use the OT midi tracks to run VDMX.
If I was going to get a dedicated controller, I’d probably get a 1st edition APC40.
Dirt cheap, built better than the newer ones.

Friend of mine just put together a LZX cadet series skiff.
Affordable, and compact.

1 Like

you can build a custom midi to relay board from arduino for example and can switch the beamers

there were some analog video modules by mfb, but they are not on the site anymore and its eurorack