Hardware hackers? Anyone done any "bending" on an AR? I'd like to figure a way to hook a foot pedal up to live record on/off

I’m curious if anyone here has, or knows someone who has, done any modifications to their AR?

I REALLY need a way to turn live record mode on and off hands free. I ax’d the mothership, and they said there’s no midi control, etc. to do it… Major bummer… :frowning:
But I’m thinking… Since all you do to turn on live recording is press REC+PLAY and to turn it off you just press REC again, it seems that a two pedal set up that taps into those switches should be “doable…”

I’m hesitant to rip the thing apart to discover it’s totally impossible, so I wanted to check here to see if anyone has any insight.

Thanks!

I don’t own an AR, so could be way off the mark, however if the transport controls on the AR are midi controllable, surely a midi foot pedal would be the answer? Or a cheap lpd8 to stamp on.

4 Likes

There is no known method, sysex or otherwise, to activate recording via MIDI.

1 Like

In theory it could be done by using electronic switches, but it would involve soldering a circuit to the physical switches on the AR, or just soldering normally open footswitches to the buttons, probably a better, non-invasive way would be to make a footswotch operated solenoid contraption which could fit over the transport buttons and it physically presses the record button when the pedal is pressed.

5 Likes

Easy task is to ARM the Rytm. Press rec + play and then press stop on an external controller with outgoing stop message.

If you hit play again Rytm starts in live record mode.

Given how the elektron hardware generally appears to connect a single cable between the UI elements board (knobs, buttons and screen) to the synthesis/audio motherboard, a genius electronic engineer might be able to deduce how to tap into that cable to insert signals to the motherboard mimicking use of the UI (i.e. as though a button was pressed).

This could then allow you use a microprocessor to replace some UI interaction and send button-press combinations and sequences via midi, bluetooth or whatever you like.

First step is to insert a ‘listener’ into each line in the connection between the UI board and motherboard and observe what gets sent to the motherboard when you use each UI component and what gets sent back to the UI board.

Is it not sufficient to wire a momentary push to close switch in parallel to both buttons, no electronics as such … then the user need only master the technique of pressing(holding) on the Aux-Rec button and adding a tap of the Aux-Play button … this could be done by putting the play button North of the Rec button, then the foot need only roll forward to mimic the way we engage it with the two finger press

Is that fundamentally way off - i’d love to know - I have often pondered the idea of adding an external Function Switch to these boxes … I have form in this area, I’ve added ‘breakout’ switches for other gear to aid usability

OP: Don’t do this unless you are prepared to take on the risk of it going wrong, it may be a crazy wrong suggestion YHBW

i think it should be doable :slight_smile:

yes, exactly :scream::grin:

edit: worth having a look? :smirk:

…only problem i can see is have a place from where the wires come out of the enclosure…wouldn’t really fancy drilling holes (although well, if needed…) maybe the air vents on the sides?

…freshly uploaded :grin:

14 Likes

Yes, although I would advise not using this method if you were fitting a footswitch socket in case accidentally a voltage got plugged into the socket, like say a gate. If fitting a socket, personally I’d add some level of protection.

1 Like

do you got some pictures from that process?

Holy crapballs! You’re amazing! To start recording would I just wire it up in parallel with rec & play?

Is taking the top plate off as easy as undoing hex bolts, taking off knobs?

…of course the method i’ve used is not safest solution but rather a proof of concept so to speak.
as @darenager mentions, some sort of protection would be needed to make sure things don’t fry up accidentally…also, i think worth to remember, opening the enclosure will void the warranty so think twice… :slight_smile:

1 Like

i’m afraid not, but there isn’t tooo much to look at …just a couple of green boards with some holes here and there and little thingy :grin:

what a mystery

nnaaah…i just soldered a couple of wires, no more than that :relaxed:[quote=“Drumunkey, post:13, topic:35350”]
To start recording would I just wire it up in parallel with rec & play?
[/quote]

not sure about that as there might be some ‘timing’ issues there as you first need to hold the [REC] button and then press [PLAY] so mm…maybe there could be a solution there[quote=“Drumunkey, post:13, topic:35350”]
Is taking the top plate off as easy as undoing hex bolts, taking off knobs?
[/quote]
yes, the faceplate comes off pretty easily, just a couple interconnections between the boards so it is something to be done slowly the first time :slight_smile:

2 Likes