#NGNY22 - Happy NoGear New Year!

I think it’s essential for me at this point. I’m not making any music, and you can see the list above, I’m not short of resources! There will always be cool new gear I want (looking at you Vector synth) but that path is endless and doesn’t lead to making music for me!

4 Likes

Added :raised_hands:

@Grate_expectations
@vamoscreciendo
@Lauli
@Mistercharlie
@asmartkid82
@blackincali
@igtheflig
@ghostly606
@stooov
@AphexEscher4422

7 Likes

This, along with piano, is gonna be my deep dive of the year:

9 Likes

Was gonna say I’m in until I remembered about still being up in the air on swapping out the BS2 for a dedicated midi controller (smaller footprint). So maybe not.

1 Like

Hardware :

• Nord Drum 3P with Roland KT 10 and sticks
  • Ni Maschine +
  • Korg Wavestate
  • B Model D
  • Microfreak
  • Gamechanger audio light pedal ( if it ever gets back from maintenance )
  • 2x Roland EV-5 ( expression pedal )
  • Boss FS 5U ( sustain pedal )
  • Bastl Midi looper
  • Blokas midi hub
  • Tascam Model 12
  • SSL2+
  • Novation SL61 MK3
  • Komplete Kontrol s61 mk1
  • Zoom h5N
  • CME xkey 37
  • A drawmer 1968 mkII which is on sale…
  • I’m expecting delivery of a little synth I ordered years ago…Called Osmose… :rofl:
  • Squier jazzbass
  • Epiphone lespaul custom

It is something to see all this written down even if most are only accessories.

Plugins :

I’m desperately waiting for a sample robot sale before the end of the year to stay true to the challenge…

I mainly use :

• NI pianos ( komplete 13 )
  • Massive X / fm8
  • Hy plugins
  • U-He HZ zebra,diva,repro
  • Valhalla verbs
  • Aparillo
  • Custom reaktor ensembles
  • Trk01
  • Monark
  • A bunch of channel strips, compressors, distortions.

I use bitwig as main daw, reaper for scoring and recently invested in melodyne.

I have an album in the mixing stage and I plan to release another this coming year along live performances with several other artists ( we’re working on that ).

6 Likes

Um… it seems we have some cheats amongst us as it appears many of you actually live in music shops…!!!?? :joy:

My current set up (with 4 weeks to go…)

TR8S
Circuit rhythm
TD-3
Korg minilogue
Soundcraft notepad 12fx mixer
Tascam DR 40x
Cheap delay and reverb pedal

Also a couple of guitars (acoustic/resonator and electric) though I keep my electro and guitar stuff separate as a rule-i tend to like acoustic blues on guitar and techno once machines get involved so not a huge cross over!!

9 Likes

Hello!
I’m not buying much gear usually. But I still think that it could be interesting to try this. So count me in.
My gear is
Digitakt
Digitone
Keystep
Volca bass
Novation circuit OP (although, not really using it)
Midi quadra thru
Behringer 1202 (this is something that I wanted to upgrade sometimes, but will try to live with it for the next year, let’s see how it works)
A half broken beatstep
Acoustic guitar, electric guitar, two basses.
A couple of mics.
Pioneer Ddj-400

And by now I would actually like to deepen the dt-dn combo. Most of the times I think it’s all I need.

6 Likes

Added! :raised_hands:

Signing up! Any motivator for not buying is always good I guess.

I made it through 2021 with just 3 purchases, at the start and now at the end of the year. An Eventide pedal, a MIDI/CV converter and an eurorack phaser. Pretty happy with them, all three purchases felt justified, the stuff I got actually made me produce more noise, not get lost in learning some new synth interface or whatever.

Funny how a few months without any purchase makes you home in on what is really causing the roadblocks in the setup. Let’s see what one year will do.

Not sure how hard it will be to do no purchase at all, after all zero is still much less than three.

3 Likes

Added! :raised_hands:

1 Like

@Joebas Did you add me yet? I signed up above!

2 Likes

:face_with_hand_over_mouth: yes… I might take the fabfilter package

I’m in. Lately I have spent much more time trading gear than making music. A true addiction.
Gear for the year:

• Analog Four
  • Analog Rytm

A year focused on squeezing every sound out of these instruments.

4 Likes

I bought quite a few these days, but I’m a bit disappointed that some of them tend to crash the host. The “random” button on bram bos Kosmonaut for example…

1 Like

My mistake! Added :raised_hands:

And added! :raised_hands:

1 Like

Other than a filter module I have on backorder, I could well have a gear-free 2022. I don’t have the room to setup half my stuff as it is!

Should I add you? :slight_smile:

My current gear/setup for the NoGear-year:

Hardware:

DT + DN + OTmk2 + MC + Mic

Software:

Ableton + some additional plugins

3 Likes

I’m in! Going full time on music so time to stop buying stuff and focus on eh survival. 21 was a year of investments. 22 will be a year of focussing on sustainability. I also made a totally ridiculous purchase yesterday so that’s the giant cherry on top of this year. Time to stay clean in 22 :stuck_out_tongue:

Great topic and I’m sure help is needed sooner or later.

16 Likes