Happy MC-202 day everyone!

Haha. I forgot to mention “memory to tape”. I would have been happy if it just had a couple of sequences stored in memory.

1 Like

That looks promising.

1 Like

How does the accent work compared to TB-303?

It can be set to affect just amp or amp and filter, the filter modulation is different than on the 303 in that it does not shorten filter envelope decay.

Ok. Does it increase the filter env amp, or just the filter frequency?

I believe it just increases the filter frequency on 202.

Yes seems that accent has direct modulation to VCF, yellow line is accent to filter, green line is accent to VCA where it is added to envelope modulation of VCA, IC14d is the switch which turns accent VCF modulation on.

2 Likes

Thanks! Should be possible to mod this then. hehe. And add the reduced decay on the envelope. Gonna look out if one comes for sale here again.

Nobody posted this…?

8 Likes

Main problem with 202 mods are lack of space inside, the IR3109 VCF chip can have some interesting mods to tap out each of the 4 poles. I did this on one of my SH-101s years back and it sounded amazing, the person who bought it from me agreed, unfortunately I did not keep my notes of how I did it, but lord knows it has almost certainly been heard on some well known tracks. :wink:

Sounds like a jungle of wild animals :slight_smile: thank you!

I have the malekko manther which I love! I heard that there are some similarities between that and the 202, but I’ve never played a 202. Is there any truth to that?

Despite the fact that I spent very little time with it, the MC-202 holds a special place in my heart.

It was the first instrument that I modified, all by myself, with help from CY Kong’s page: Roland MC-202 Mods1 - CV/Gate - cykong.com

By the time I was done, the 202 looked like Swiss cheese, it had so many holes in it.
I even painted it black.

I regret doing all that stuff to the poor thing because I didn’t even use it much, in the end. Plus, it ruined the “form” of the machine. The only mod I’d suggest is the “proper” CV IN mod because it improves functionality.

Wow! I wish I had known about this, back in the day.

1 Like

Dinsync hinted at a re-202 :slight_smile:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKzHy1Lh4F9/?igshid=1s9epnlgmkcfs

I’d love to know this too. Never seen or heard a Manther in the flesh, and they’re on sale recently. The Malekko sequencer modules are powerfu, yet easy to use.

Wish I had held on to the MC-202, later I traded it plus cash for a Bassstation Rack. :woozy_face:

Hey there everyone !!! Happy to say I finaly found one of those semi-modular modded MC-202 in the wild recently and bought it.

Here is the first proper jam I recorded with it, not using the modular part at all yet (even tho I did and it’s a lot of fun). There is still some little things to repair (the VCA is a bit noisy due to some bleed from the pulse wave into it) but it’s in great shape otherwise !

3 Likes

After a long time, Tubbutec posted an MC-2oh2 update on Facebook.

Sharing the text here for convenience:
“2oh2 Update: been working on this as much as possible for the last weeks. Due to electronic parts shortage (google if you don’t know). We had to redesign the hardware with a completely new CPU - and even that one is out of stock for a while.
In the meantime a lot of coding work. Many added features and even more small details and fixes, way to much to mention them.
Don’t ask when this will be available and please don’t suggest any features. 2oh2 is full of features already and many more planned.”

There’s a comment from Dan Nigrin suggesting 202 Hack compatibility.

2 Likes

Screenshot 2021-07-12 at 16.03.09

3 Likes

Hey there folks ! There is some 202 action in my last “Friday Jam” session !

3 Likes

One year later I created that thread hahaha ! Happy 202 day everyone !

Here is a fun trick for your MC-202, even more if you have a modded version VCF control input :wink:

2 Likes