Hank Shocklee

Meet Hank Shocklee, producer, songwriter and Rock and Roll Hall of Famer. He’s known for being an integral part of Public Enemy, producing other greats such as LL Cool J, Ice Cube, Salt-N-Pepa and for his ever inventive, persistent exploration of sound. We talk beginnings, analog versus digital and fighting the power. Put your feet up, sit back and enjoy! Read the Talk
5 Likes

Bought “It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back” in 1988 when it came out. Up until that point I had been listening only to heavy metal and thrash metal. It was an eye opener and teached me to listen to a whole new kind of music. From there on, I bought everything I could get my hands on in a small Finnish coastal town. De La Soul, Ice-T, LL Cool Jay etc. Fortunately my first hip hop album was Public Enemy and not Vanilla Ice or MC Hammer.

Recently watched a BBC documentary on Public Enemy and it made me realize/remember how truly revolutionary that band was, both lyrically and musically. They sounded like nothing else before (or after) them. Hank Shocklee is a true visionary.

6 Likes

ONYX - Bacdafucup

The production on that album is the definition of Hardcore Rap.

1 Like
3 Likes

This is great, thanks