Hanging Notes Analog 4 CV to MS20 Mini

Hey all,

I just got my Analog 4 setup to sequence my MS20 mini (yea!) but suddenly while fooling around I got a hanging note. Now no matter what I do I get a continuous hanging note. I can play other notes with the A4 mini keyboard, but still get the hanging note after letting go of the key. I’ve tried turning both synths on and off, no go. As soon as they are both booted I get the drone. I’ve tried changing CV settings. Muting the CV track. I think it happened when I started playing with the velocity and note length on the CV track?

Edit: Interesting development, I get a rythmic clicking even if the A4 is turned off, but the MS20 is on and they are connected via CV…

Thanks for your help!

The Mini is very sensitive regarding Radio waves. So you have your mobile Phone near by?

I dont recall that I did. Could it possibly be wifi signal?

You need to clarify your CV settings and MS patch

Main thing is to have s-trig for gate and Hz/V for pitch

if C1 is 1v then set C3 to 4v (i.e. double per octave)

make sure you have a neutral VCA on the MS which plays normally when you disconnect CV

also if you believe the Elektron is hanging (a midi phenomenon btw) then disconnecting gate cable should fix … then you work on the why - make sure you have normal trig lengths and so on to begin with, then introduce complexity

unless you map velocity to another Value Lin controlled CV parameter it’s not going to mean anything to your MS - there is no velocity control, even by MIDI, but you can map velocity to a CV signal

keep it simple and provide more info - here are more useful starting values to get going

4 Likes

Thank you. This is all very new to me. I’ve got a busy afternoon, but I will be back with the info etc. I followed Dataline’s tutorial video, but what he suggested Oct:voltage seems different slightly than what you suggest here–I will relate those details as well.

Anyway, thanks again, and I will be back with info and try to track this down. I wish there were any easy way to reset the CV settings on the A4 so I could start from scratch again.

1 Like

The MS has a narrow working range (in terms of actave) due to voltage doubling per octave - so different Voltage reference points only really equate to offsets on the keyboard - whether you’re using c4>c7 to replicate the MS keys range or c2>c5 or whatever it makes no difference - you just need to put the A4 in the right octave range which is why I prefer the range I link

The reason the MS settings matter is that it’s obviously possible to drone that easily, so you need to start with a vanilla patch that plays normally to keys whilst you bottom out the glitches

You can clear all settings by pressing the relevant page button and clear(play) - this will reset to defaults - alternatively you have 4 settings per project (so therefore 4 CV setting scenarios) if your other settings are easy to reconfigure then you can just swap to another setting preset

3 Likes

Many thanks. I went straight to the MS20 patch and tried to make the most simple thing I could think of…I was not expecting the Sustain to function as it does. It doesn’t take much sustain and I’ve got the drone.

I seem to have sorted things out. I don’t know if I confused something or not, but Gate set to S-Trig further fixed things up for me. I’m going to play around with the octave range and settings until I get something that sounds correct. Sounds pretty good right now, but maybe a little off.

2 Likes

further fixed !!

it wouldn’t work right if you didn’t have s-trig

it would latch on when you let go of the key - and drone before and after pressing !

There’s a fair chance this is the MS20 itself - test it properly - I had to calibrate my new one, it wasn’t too difficult but it does require disassembly and a patient methodical approach

Likewise the A4 outputs can be calibrated, but you’d ideally need a voltmeter for both activities, alternatively use the A4 technique that requires a tuner - but if the MS is set up well it will be exactly 1v for the Low C and 8V for the high C on its keyboard

2 Likes

Yea…I was getting exactly what you you were describing, drone before and after a key press. I’ve not noticed my MS20 to be out of tune in general use and all of that feels somewhat above my paygrade at the moment, but I will start looking into it.

Hi guys , wonder I’ve anyon can help, I know there’s a few posts on this already but can someone help . I have link the ms20 to thr a4 and can get sounds triggered using the htz per volt but there seems to be a constant note from ms20 , as in the note never stops until the next note comes in, I turned the release time down but still continues , can anyone help

S-Trig. Everyone forgets to set it to S-trig :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Otherwise make sure the hold is all the way down on the envelope and the release is set to a reasonable level.

Thanks knob goblin, s-trig worked, weird though as in datalines video he has it on v-trig and the notes still fade

Weird. Does it show the screen in that video and you are sure it is set to v trig? Or maybe he did a typo when doing captions if no screen view?

Yes mate , defo v-trig

That’s not a proper gate trig anyway - it’s a fixed length pulse - you may find that this event is used elsewhere, I dunno as I cannot locate tutorial video - but suffice to say, the Korg works with S-trig if you want to use a conventional gate arrangement linked to its envelopes

if you flip it (to a V trig gate) it’ll play when you aren’t and mute when you key

There’s no reason not to use any signal type in any way you want - but for your purposes this link has taken you down the wrong path - gate (not trig) set to S-trig is what you want as mentioned in above thread fwiw

Here is the link to look at the video further so you can assist , thanks for your time helping with this

I’d go as far as to say that looks like a bug in the MK2 menu - it shouldn’t work like that with those settings imho

You have viewed the video for what it is and it doesn’t make sense as it is

If I set the ms20 to a vtrig gate it would not work like that

Note there is a very long decay/release setting on Korg - if Cenk held the A4 key for a long time it would still decay at same time - the gate length is ignored

Check that what the menu shows is what is happening

take that Trig Vtrig (but make it 5v instead) and patch it into Pitch in - see which way the voltage is working - if it is bug free the key presses will raise the pitch briefly, otherwise it’ll be high when you patch in and drop when you press

Something ain’t right either way

PS Just set C5 at 1v and C6 at 2v exactly (or c4 with c5 or c3 with c4)
Then adjust the tuning on the Korg to get concert pitch

Note that the keyboard range needs to be within 1V and 8 volt for the MS to sound right by keytrack, it may play okay at 0.5v too

so 1v doubles to 2v (ie onwards octave)
2 v doubles to 4 and 4 to 8, so you’ll get a good 3 octave range from teh MS (as per its keys) and probably an octave lower, but NOT an octave higher

so chose you keys range wisely when playing on the A4 (or specify the Cs I mentioned above to offset the range to suit the preferred range relative to the playable MS range)

hope this makes sense

Check if this is a bug on Mk2 (re video) - something not right about this, and ultimately you still want to use S-trig on Gate

FWIW - I checked the MK1 was behaving well in this regard and it was fine - fwiw, Vtrig is the leftmost option within the Trig menu, you have to scroll right to get Strig - if it’s the other way on the Mk2 that may point to the issue, or it may be that the voltage side is wrong - but it’s not on my os1.24 and it may have been fixed since the video for MK2 - but judging by your experience copying those settings, it seems to be working correctly, but how Dataline had this shown config working is a mystery - also note the length shown for the trig setup in that video is incredibly short

Ok, so I’m now onto cv c and d​:joy:. I am using the value lin setting on cv c plugged into ms20 cut off freq but there is no change in cut off when turning value knob, I have set it value cv c in envelope 1, min voltage is 0 max is 5, am I doing something wrong here , thanks for ur speedy tell s :raised_hands:t3::+1::+1:

Mod Edit : Also asked and replied to here …