šŸŽƒ Halloween track challenge

Great track Snipecatcher!
It reminds me of Orbitalā€™s first album. It hit me at 2.14 when you play just the synth.
I love Orbital, so def a compliment. And of course your own flavor/style is infused :blush:

3 Likes

Oh wow, thanks! Thatā€™s too kind!

2 Likes

Love the lfo on the lead lines! was the whole thing a performance on the DT or did you track separately?

1 Like

Thanks! All DT, it was made in like 3 hours. I did slow down the final section via Abletonā€™s repitch though and compress a bit. Yeah I was trying to hack the LFO into doing pitch bend and it got out of controlā€¦ Couldnā€™t decipher which of the glyphs stands for trig mode.

1 Like

https://soundcloud.com/user-811123126/retrofuego

Here is mine, pretty fun to do synthwave with the digi boxes.

Digitakt - Samples from movie and soundtrack

Digitone - Bass, Leads, arp

Sp404 and Ableton for effects/recording

16 Likes

Way to go @amku! Those Digitone sounds are delicious. The old school pitch bends were a nice nod to the era.

These tracks have all been fantastic so far. Keep them coming, folks. :fire:

2 Likes

Donā€™t worry, Iā€™ll be bucking the trend in a day or so haha!

Iā€™ll go in to details when I share the track but its been such a love/hate thing for me (in a good way).

2 Likes

My collaboration with the challenge

https://youtu.be/0X8hVj2fM70

10 Likes

This is probably my favorite one so farā€¦love all the gritty harmonics! My only complaint is itā€™s too short, which as ā€˜complaintsā€™ go, itā€™s a pretty good one :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And here is my entry! Minds will be blownā€¦ (maximum sarcasm)

Actually surprised how this one turned out. At one point I felt like setting fire to the OT to be honest haha. I spent an age trying to make the drums sound good (and failed) but had a lot of fun learning and improving the skills. Had a lot of bother getting anything musical though and almost chucked in the towel but it somehow came together ok in the end. I was trying to keep away from direct quotes but thatā€™s what actually hooked me back in as some of the lines in this movie are pure gold.

Everything was sampled out of Youtube (which never helps) direct into the OT. Everything done on the OT other than the final record (just a raw recording into Live).

Well aware this doesnt really meet the genre requirements but I can live with that!

10 Likes

I like it! Super funny and playful with some very clever programming

2 Likes

Thanks! Digitone felt right at home doing this challenge.

2 Likes

That might be next on my gear list

1 Like

Its awesome, very fast to learn and program. Im personally eyeing the AH next

2 Likes

Aye aye aye. Itā€™s killing me that Iā€™ve come down with a cold this week. Of course this is one of the few weekends that I am free so it would normally be a perfect time to get a bunch done on my track.

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_thermometer:

Great job on your track there @J0n35y! That screen capture on your track is hilarious.

Nice work @Sebas! Do you have a soundcloud account, by chance? I want to follow and share if you do.

3 Likes

Haha. The more I look at it the more I think Rainbird is one of the most brilliantly ridiculous bad guys. That sample I grabbed of the bit when heā€™s told to jump cracks me up every time. His whole ā€œplanā€ and motives in the movie are wonderfully ludicrous.

2 Likes

This is my attempt, RYTM MK1, just samples from the movie

not sure about the genre though :sweat_smile:

might do another one at 130bpm, maybe more futuristic

7 Likes

@nionmu, your track has a nice psychedelic future jazz vibe going on, IMHO. I dig it.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s my first pass for a track. This is what you get when you try to write music with fever and cough. Donā€™t try this at home. :nauseated_face:

OT running solo here. All sounds are from the movie itself, with the exception of 3 drum samples. The kick and snare are from the Kawai XD-5, the hat is from the TR-707. I leaned heavily on Dark Reverb to help fill out the pad sounds. I decided to go with drums that sound like something youā€™d find on an old Art of Noise record. I tried to keep the compression dialed into that vibe as well.

For some reason Iā€™m hearing pops on my end so it looks like I need to troubleshoot that before I work on this anymore. Sigh.

7 Likes

@konputa & @nionmu- Enjoyed both of these tracks!

All the entries so far would make a nice playlist for my work commute actually. Really enjoying the variation and different styles.

2 Likes