Guitar pick-up selector contact cleaning....?

One of my guitars has a pick-up selector which has gone a bit scratchy.

Any tips for cleaning? Dismantle (if possible) and use a bit of contact spray…?

It’s a 3-way selector on a Steinberger Synapse SS2F Custom. Possibly Gibson (since Gibson had the licence to make these guitars).

I had good success with this product on a guitar amp / Nord (other stuff soon) - I too am intending to clean some crackly selector switches and pots on a 35y.o. semi-acoustic - my reason for not having done it is I’d liked to have done it by taking it all about but that is a massive undertaking as you need to feed stuff through the f-hole - I think the selector switch is more of a doddle as the lubricant will get where it needs to by spraying in the top - I just don’t want to do to much spraying in case I mark the wood inside - so I’m still a bit on the fence about stripping to do it carefully or trying to sneak some in

This stuff comes with a straw nozzle and can be reasonably controlled - knowing what those strat-ish style selector switches look like I think you could do wonders (and no harm) by applying without dismantling - you have good access

This stuff seems reputable and specifically for this role and safe with most materials in the studio, but it may be best to try a tiny bit on a hidden area of bodywork if you aren’t sure to avoid it (should be trivial, but covering my back on this) just in case the esoteric plastic is sensitive to it

There are pricier (and cheaper) cleaners and some which may be more tailored to deoxidising thoroughly - but this totally transformed extremely scratchy pots on an old amp of mine and tidied up some channel selector switch which is now smooth/silent

a little goes a long way, it’s quite fine, just wiggle after applying some and repeat

Discussed below and product here > (Electrolube EML200F)

1 Like

Any contact cleaner will work and some better than others. A commonly recommended electronics cleaner for tube amps and electric guitars is deoxit.

When people ask me to look at their tube amps or guitars for scratchy and/or weird sounds associated with knob turning, I liberally spray deoxit or other contact cleaners on all pots and jacks. It almost always improves things…

Sam

1 Like

Thanks all.

I actually managed to dismantle the switch unit and cleaned.

Bit of an odd arrangement, with 4 small springs which make contact with a flat plate, in various positions.

Seems to have done the trick for now though.

1 Like