Guide for setting up A4 plugin with Reaper?

I’ve tried using the VST plugin with Reaper in the past but had difficulty getting it to record/output and gave up when I read that the Reaper support was a bit knackered in that version.

I read a post on Reddit saying that the new version works decently with Reaper now. Is there an up to date guide anywhere on how to configure Reaper routing, etc. to record multi track audio from an A4?

I can’t say that I’ve experienced any major issues with Reaper. Performance is definitely better if you change your plugin buffer settings to 128 or below.

The way you setup OB with Reaper is no different than any other multi-channel VSTi with hardware component:

1. Assuming you have the plugin loaded to a new track, right click it and choose “Build multichannel routing.”
  2. Accept Reaper’s suggestion about the naming
  3. You now have 6 audio output tracks and the main plugin track
  4. Disable monitoring of the plugin track
  5. Now you need to pump the plugin track full of MIDI juice; add a new track and route MIDI to the plugin track by clicking on “route” button
  6. Since this is a MIDI track and not audio, you want to monitor/record only MIDI, so right click on the “record arm/disarm” button and find “Input MIDI:” and find your desired MIDI controller.
  7. You should now be able to play some MIDI via some external MIDI device and hear it coming out of the “Main” and “Track 1” audio tracks. Add as many MIDI tracks as you want in this manner and assign the MIDI output channel to the desired A4 channel
  8. “Main” is the A4’s main audio output, including efx; if you only want to record efx, go to “audio routing” (on A4 or in the plugin) and de-select the tracks in “to main”
  9. Record the output of a desired A4 audio track (and/or “main”) by right-clicking on the “record/arm” and select “Record output (stereo, latency compensated).” Remember to de-select “monitor input” on any recording tracks or you’ll get doubling/feedback.
  10. Hit the big record button as usual, and there you go! “That’s all.”

-d