Ground loop in setup

I would check with a DI box/monitor controller/hacked cable going to your monitors that can lift pin 1 ground, especially if you’re only getting hum from your monitors and not in your actual recordings.

In addition to Power Conditioners and USB isolation and moving away from unbalanced connections, you may also need a Direct Box for guitar/bass with a ground lift… like even the cheap Behringer DI400P.

[edit, yeah, like what @hellcore said right above me… tired I guess.]

a ground loop is an extra oscillator that you get as a free bonus for being awesome. Add a pulsing gate effect or use it as a minimalist non-evolving drone texture

2 Likes

Well, there is that. I’m kinda sorry I never sampled my old noisy dying furnace blower before it died last week. Soooo industrial! :wink:

If you set up your mix in the fireface totalmix, you can disconnect it from the computer and still hear your mix. Then you will see if its the computer or the fireface. I have a groundloop problem my self. In my case its because of my Imac. Older imacs had something strange going on with internal grounding.

My ground loop occurred when linking the output on my PX5 mixer into My rane 64 input(which is master mixer to monitors).

I disconnected everything and re-connected one item at a time to find the culprit.

After finding it I used a standard GND loop isolater box from ebay…Problem sorted.

One of them between px5 and 64 …

Just bought something like the link in the comment above and it works, almost complete silence from the speakers right now, total bliss!

Thanks for the help everyone

4 Likes

I recently introduced a humming/buzzing sound in my home studio, coming from my USB audio interface (Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD) into my mixer. After a bit of unplugging stuff, I found out that the noise comes from attaching the internal USB-hub on my monitor to the laptop. I have another USB(-C)-hub connected to the laptop, which does not generate any noise. No matter if I connect the monitor USB hub directly to the laptop, or via the other hub, the noise appears. All my gear are connected to the same wall socket for power.

I have a lot of USB equipment, and I need more ports than my laptop and the first hub provides. Is it possible to eliminate the noise generated by attaching the monitor USB hub? Will I have the same problem if I buy another hub?

Would switching from TS to TRS jack cables make a difference?

So my house isn’t grounded, and for the most part, I don’t have any issues with ground loops, but my Yamaha MG16XU has a noticeable buzz sound if I push the volume past 7. Anyone else had a similar problem with their mixer, and what did you do to remedy the situation?

you can try a fuhrman power conditioner. not exactly cheap though.
20A Prestige Symmetrically Balanced Power Conditioner | Furman Power

You searched for power conditioner | Furman Power

1 Like

Are you sure that it’s not just the mixer? Have you tried it in a different environment?

I recall that line of Yamaha being more utilitarian than hi-fi.

1 Like

I’ll try it on the one grounded outlet I have, but the reviews I read didn’t mention any noise. I’ll have another look.

1 Like

does it buzz with only speakers/headphones and nothing plugged into the audio channels? or only when something is plugged in? it looks like a nice mixer, it shouldn’t really buzz bc its a newer mixer even if it is an analogue model.

you can try touching the metal jacket of your 1/4 inch cable, if the noise decreases when it grounds through you then it could def be dirty power.

1 Like

Just checked again, and it hums with or without anything plugged in. I’m pretty sure it’s my filthy dirty power supply. My house was built a long time ago, and didn’t get the grounding treatment. So there’s that.

Hmm, that price. You think Behringer will do a “clone”? I don’t know if I’m ready to talk my wife into letting me drop that amount of bread. I guess it’s time to start doing low-fi.

1 Like

Let me think about it, there might be some other option. I know, sorry to suggest something expensive. Was there any difference plugged into the grounded outlet?

1 Like

I’m doing that shit tomorrow. It’s like across the house in the kitchen.
It’s all good man, just tossing the jokes. I did find one by Furman for under $80. It’s a 19in unit though, so now I’m looking at getting another rack. As it goes.

Does the power supply have an AC voltage? whats the rating?

I’m going to be honest with you. There’s like three degrees of power supplies going on here. But I did plug it into another one, and that shit was still buzzing out. Had the same problem with my Dj mixer too, but we’d play the music so loud that it wasn’t much of a problem.

1 Like

these do wonders :

1 Like