Great Combo Rytm and MPC Live

I finally had a chance to play around with both midied together the Live handling the samples and and the rytm playing the drums. I also was easily able to play rytm drums using the mpc lives pad and sequence the the mpc. Mostly with drum patterns and kits setup on the rytm I could switch patterns on the fly, use the patterns steps to shorten the steps to get stuttering drums. Lots of fun, but I have yet to record.anything into logic cuz the drivers on my 2.0 software didn’t fully download and the site is down. I can go the traditional way tracking separate outs one by one. But it was a throwaway track so keep learning still I get everything sorted. Mki rytm is the classic drum synth and sampler paired with a one of a kind sampler.

1 Like

My practice was done mainly using a acapella, phrase sample off a record, hardware synth for pads and the midi send by mpc and drum synths and samples in the analog rytm. The drum patterns were preprogrammed from earlier sessions within different projects and patterns played via the mpc live pads. Thus getting the best of both worlds. At one time my intent was to go with the octatrack as a sampler compliment to the rytm but the choice of the remixing vocal element of the Live was the choice I went with.

I’m considering adding the rytm to my set up, but I think that having both machines is overkill. I’m currently using the mpc live and the ak and it’s great… the MPC is a DAW in a box and it practically does everything.
Congrats on your set up. Keep working at it.

1 Like

It might seem like overkill on the surface; however, for me the live was a last minute purchase as I was blissfully unaware of it coming release back in July. I come from a mpc background and I wanted to learn more analog synthesis and step sequencing last year. I decided to get the rytm as an modern day advanced tr808 in my eyes but boy did I have a lot to learn on the elektron way. During that time I could compare the drum patterns and sound in get coming out the rytm to those out of my old mpc and the randomness, grit, and the knock from the rytm was way more than my mpc sounds. I realized that the rytm was akin to a studio module in one whereas the mpc still typically you had to run the outputs into a effects rack to get similar sounds like they do in a professional studio. Anyways the rytm for me was limited for phrase and keyboard sampling unless I did a lot of tricks and it has no timestretching. So I was planning to get the octotrack until I happened upon the live videos and saw the capabilities and it was an easy decision for me coming from mpcs to get live over octotrack for accallepas, keyboard samples, phrases, chopping and sound designing and continue to use rytm for mean drums sample or analog. Like I said I can use mpc live pads to play rytm drums using midi. Live to me it a sampler not my main drum machine as rytm is my main drum machine as it can be programmed to do whatever you want without a lot of outboard gear to beef it up. But that is just me.

3 Likes

That sounds great! I too considered the Octatrack but resolved to the mpc.
Thanks for your input. I will further consider the rytm.

MPC live is a great complement to an elektron trinity. ATM my fave combo of two boxes is the A4 and MPC live.

2 Likes

I would love to play them together. Could you please tell me how to midi them together and play at the same velocity ??

Years late as I had no notifications about the reply. You simply connect a midi cable between both with midi out from mpc live into the midi in on the rytm. At that time I used mpc live as the master sequencer and rytm as the host. You have to go into global on rytm and setup midi… But since the lastest OS update for rytm, you can now sent midi out of rytm vis versa and use the Elektron sequencer for mpc lives samples. RTM on both on setting up sync and midi tracks.

1 Like

Are u still using this set up. ( pros / cons ) I’m waiting on my rytm 2, to arrive. I’m thinking of doing what u say with a mpc live 2 aswell.

Yes but nowadays I’m learning more things with 2.10 on my mpc x too.

You could probably set up the midi between the devices so that you can record scenes performances on Rytm onto the mpc and have the MPC sequence the scenes…

Mpcs midi function is pretty awesome in that it reads every midi CC from a device if you have it plugged in both midi in and out.

1 Like

Have you tried this? I just recently picked up a One with a cracked screen for super cheap and want to use forwards and backwards with the Rytm and Synthstrom Deluge