Gotharman

10 minutes to do what exactly?

In 10 minutes I could probably setup a ‘close’ approximation of almost any hardware sound/function out there with what I already have. But 10 minutes is a long time to be faffing vs ‘just switch on the unit/pedal/instrument’…

Have you used the gotharman?

1 Like

:rotating_light: Beware. Trolling tendencies detected. :rotating_light:

5 Likes

To come back to the original topic : The fuzion looks really great, but most of the demo sounds pretty extreme. And I wonder if it can also be used to make some lush/warm sounds ? Could it be used as a poly synth ? Or is it really a specialized in granular/experimental sounds ?

That was the thing I was most curious about as well. I’ve only barely scraped the tip of the sonic iceberg, but I’m rethinking my poly needs now because the Fuzion is capable of producing poly sounds I really like. I’m sure you can achieve lush; I’m more after complex and dusty.

When it comes to granular synthesis, it seems to me like it appeals most to people into experimental, noise, soundscape, and industrial type stuff. I definitely would not recommend the Gotharman synths to anybody, I think they are very special, and I personally had to have them because something beyond reasoning drew me towards them. The effects are very unique; I can see a lot of people not liking them. It took me a really a long time to figure out the reverb, but I like it a lot. It has this very nasty primitive nature; I wouldn’t describe it as lush, but it can definitely add an interesting space. All the effects can get into this crazy granular territory, and do glitchy stuff. Something about the total aesthetic of both the Fuzion and the Anamono X that I really like. I’m planning to make deep & dusty lofi house with the Fuzion by sampling tapes, using it’s internal synth as a moody polysynth, and pairing it with the Avalon 303 clone. I think it will be perfect for what I envision. I’ll have more to say after I spend a bit more time with it.

6 Likes

set up a mono sound and mess around with in a loop twisting knobs making a nasty mono sound

I don’t know what to think of you. Here you are talking about mono synths and how much you like your computer while you have a picture of an MFB Tanzbar as your Avatar. I think you’re in the wrong thread. Maybe start a thread about all the great things you can do with your mono sounds and a computer?

8 Likes

Hi! My first post on the forum… I used to have Elektron MD and MM but long sold… (I miss them both of course) but now I’m very close to going over to the Gotharman darkside. It’s either a Fuzion or an AnaMonoX - I have read the manuals for both and can’t work out if I want one, the other or both. I have overwhelming gear-lust for both, but not keen on spending that sort of money if one ends up sitting redundant. Does anyone here have both and an opinion?

I have only had the Fuzion a couple of days, and haven’t even scratched the surface of my Anamono X, but I’d say you’re in a win-win situation. The Anamono X is about to be given an entirely different OS that turns it into a Deformer X, which definitely should be considered. I have two of the dual-analog filter boards on my Anamono X and they sound ridiculous; just insane. I really like the digital filters of the Fuzion though, and having a pair of them for 8 different tracks is awesome. I can’t choose to be honest. Keep reading the manuals of both is my best suggestion. I really like the manuals actually; they’re short too.

1 Like

And how do you think is the Fuzion at finishing tracks ? Is it as good as the OT in this regard ?
Or is the Fuzion more useful at sculpting amazing sounds/patterns that could be then used with more conventionnal sequencer/workstation/computers to turn them into a full track ?

Still figuring that out as I’ve only had a few hours total to play with it so far. It takes time to learn these beasts no doubt; I’m still getting acquainted with the sound shaping capabilities. All the features are there; I just haven’t formulated any solid workflow opinions yet. Like I’m trying to figure out how to sequence chords on one track, and know it can be done because I see it being used on a preset. I’ll get distracted and mess with the synths and effects though instead. It’s all a ton of fun though. Something about the logic of the UI that fascinates me. I sold my Pyramid for the Fuzion so I better figure out how to use it to create full tracks eventually lol.

2 Likes

Thanks for this, it’s helpful. From what I can see the Fuzion has a linear sequencer (which is what I want really) whereas the Anamono has pattern sequencing (which I’m unkeen on) but modular synthesis and lush filters. So I’m imagining using the Fuzion as the brains and the Anamono for the analogue basses / textures, driven by the Fuzion’s sequencer. I wish the Fuzion had the analogue filters, then I think I’d only really want the one box… Keep us up to date with your progress!

If you’re interested strictly in sound design, I’d say the Anamono X. It has the ability to use the oscillators (or samples!) as modulation sources, and there’s this crazy G-Ray feedback ciruitry for the analog filters that makes all types of truly out of this world sounds. If you want a more “Groove-box-like” box, the Fuzion is the way to go. It has the stereo inputs too, and more memory. The Anamono X is like a Groovebox too, but more minimal. I’m thinking the Deformer X OS will really make it more Groovebox like; you get 8 seperate synths, but they all only have one digital filter. The Anamono X sequencer is very similar to the Fuzion sequencer; it lacks the bigger screen and grid view though.

1 Like

I’m going to have to get both… just waiting for some money. I’m swooning with gear-lust.

1 Like

Another happy owner of AnamonoX here. It’s really a gem amongst sound designers tools. I’ve always been attracted by modular systems but never wanted to go eurorack & co. route (always felt it would be expensive and I have no space left for another rack box). Nord Modular 2 got me there and I could fully fulfill my MPE sound design appetite, tailoring expressive sounds for Linnstrument. But the overall sound was still not what I was dreaming about. Analog filtering was what I was missing. AnamonoX is like a holy grail for me. It’s got all the vast flexibility of big modular system in neat and small portable box. Sound is stellar. My personal feature Nr. 1 is the fact that you can feed signal/audio of nearly any module into itself. Feedback FTW. I just uncovered those famed granular effects and getting best results when using them just lightly, then they can really shine without swallowing the tone completely. There is still so much to discover.

Now I’m hooked and want more of Gotharman. Fusion looks like the best contender for multi-timbral use (for MPE). I assume those digital filters are the same or very similar as on AnamonoX and they would suffice as they sound great. But I’m not sure if I need all the other workstation features. So I’m patiently waiting for deFormerX firmware to see if it comes with multi-timbrality.

@Prints, could you please tell what is the pitch bend range of synths on Fuzion? It doesn’t seem to be covered in manual. Thanks!

4 Likes

I don’t have a keyboard or midi controller right now so I can’t tell you how much range you get from a controller. I did mess with it a bit from the sequencer editor; didn’t get to know it that well though. I’ll try to figure that out.

After reading the manual again, I think I figured out how to input multiple notes on a track using the grid mode. I’ve been trying to figure out little work flow things. I really like the architectures of the Gotharmans; they just feel so liberating and thrilling to me.

It took me a bit of time to understand the effects. I agree that it is crucial to make sure certain parameters are dialed in subtly for the best sound. Like for the “time” parameter of the reverb and delay; for me, there’s only a few usable clicks worth of range in a certain sweet spot I find I like to use. The parameters all interact with one another quite a bit too because of the way feeedback was implemented into their designs I believe. It was real strange to me at first, but I just love it now. I’m getting a feel for how to tame the effects to my liking, and I really dig the sound.

Right now, I’m obsessed with seeing what it’s capable of as a polysynth. I want it to play chords with crazy effects and chopped up samples while synced up to my other machines.

2 Likes

Is it possible to assign midi velocity/modulation wheel/pitch-bend/aftertouch to any synth parameters (envelopeattach/decay/release time, filter cutoff, FX parameters,…) ? Im just wondering how good the fuzion would be as a polysynth when used with a linnstrument… It is quite hard to have an idea of what it really does without owning one, and there is nowhere to try it.

This is why I’d love to see a polyphonic OT :wink: I do this stuff in Mitosynth on ipad or Omnisphere in daw, but a legit hardware box would be cool… Maybe I need to grab the gotharman. Or look at v-synth again…

Flemming will be at Superbooth 2017 in Berlin. That might be the place to touch and hear Fuzion.

Thanks for checking! But don’t worry about it too much. I thought there would be PB setting like in AnamonoX.

Looking forward to your poly experience :musical_keyboard:

Messing around a bit with the granular effect on an Amen break sample.

3 Likes