Good sampler to pair with OT to add outboard 'color'?

Ensoniq ASR10 or EPS, EPSplus

1 Like

500 KB, really only enough for a couple of drum oneshots.

SAMPLER with 500ko memory ! :thup:

OK, letā€™s leave it up to OP to decide whether thatā€™s useful for his purposes :joy:

Yep. Volca seems to correspond, but I would rather buy it for my son. :wink:

Thanks for all the replies! No love for the Zoom Sampletrak?

I will look into the Yamaha SU10 and continue investigating the SP line. Volca is out for now, mainly because it canā€™t actually sample and maybe isnā€™t quite lo-fi enough. But the price is so nice Iā€™ll probably pick one up eventually anyway.

My biggest requirements are that is has a distinctly different sound (either from bit depth, sample rate, or DACs) and isnā€™t too big. Iā€™m not actually averse to a sampling keyboard if itā€™s also usable as a controller and synth and isnā€™t a pain to program.

+1 for the Oto devices. I use a Biscuit and Bim in an effects loop in the OT and that satisfies my needs for color (plus a fmr rnla).

I would also second the SP303/404 suggestions. Some great effects in those.

What about the Particle or Microgranny 2? Would these fall in line with what you are looking for?

Microgranny would be perfect if it werenā€™t monophonic!

MDuw

2 Likes

Iā€™d never go back to editing samples/sets/keymaps on those 2-line LCDs.

Why not use some of the built-in OT fx?
Maybe integrating Elektron Heat is a decent idea.

Ha ha :blush: thatā€™s right !

1 Like

you could just use effects to lower your sample and bit rate. (get that 32k / 22k - 12 / 14 bit styles) add some over drive?
it seems likeā€¦ a lot of extra work to have an old samplerā€¦ next to ā€¦ a modern? sampler. sampler is a sampler imo.
lots of people love them emu SP, and also Akaiā€™s. or maybe an esoniq mirage?

orā€¦ get an rytm? samples sound sick through that thingā€¦

Electribe ES-1, the MK2 version. Stupid funky, funky lo-fi, and looks the part, too.

The MK1 doesnā€™t have that global delay, tho. Which is part of its funkiness.

1 Like

Ah, yes, thatā€™s right. So Iā€™m gonna have to talk to DJ Funk Master Jam about this, make sure heā€™s aware.

:blush:

The Korg Microsampler samples from 48khz right down to 6khz. The latter gives you 21 minutes sample time and interesting crunchy, grainy results. Resampling and slicing sequencer, great midi implementation, on board fx, a keyboard and a couple of handy little slots for your phone/sweets/ecstasy. Itā€™s cheap as chips and runs on batteriesā€¦ worth a gander
Or an OP-1?

3 Likes

VolcaSample is highly under-rated. I regret selling mine.
The analog isolator keeps it nice and thick, unlike the original Korg ES-1 Electribe (also 32khz sampling). The ES-1 was my first sampler, 16 years ago, and I always found it horribly thin and plastic sounding for a sampler.

The fact that the VolcaSample has its own sequencer makes it a great sketch pad, and when running the internal sequencer whilst sequencing it with an Elektron, you can get some wild rhythms going.

The only disadvantage it has, which is present across the Volca range, is its low output. This is only a big deal if youā€™re going into hardware which doesnā€™t have an input gain control (Analog Rytm). If youā€™re going into the OT or a mixer, itā€™s not an issue.

If youā€™re wanting a cheap pedal to resample through, check out the TC Electronic MojoMojo.

For the $, a used OP-1 is king of lo-fi sampling, IMO.

3 Likes

Ensoniq EPS-M or EPS16+ rackmount. You can make it sound lo if or just give it a lo-fi.

The EPS classic or EPS M can make drums sound clear and punchy after the 20.3KHz, mark. You can drive the signal in to get it agressive or just at a normal range for better headroom.

1 Like

Machinedrum UW?

4 Likes