Good sampler to pair with OT to add outboard 'color'?

Microgranny would be perfect if it weren’t monophonic!

MDuw

2 Likes

I’d never go back to editing samples/sets/keymaps on those 2-line LCDs.

Why not use some of the built-in OT fx?
Maybe integrating Elektron Heat is a decent idea.

Ha ha :blush: that’s right !

1 Like

you could just use effects to lower your sample and bit rate. (get that 32k / 22k - 12 / 14 bit styles) add some over drive?
it seems like… a lot of extra work to have an old sampler… next to … a modern? sampler. sampler is a sampler imo.
lots of people love them emu SP, and also Akai’s. or maybe an esoniq mirage?

or… get an rytm? samples sound sick through that thing…

Electribe ES-1, the MK2 version. Stupid funky, funky lo-fi, and looks the part, too.

The MK1 doesn’t have that global delay, tho. Which is part of its funkiness.

1 Like

Ah, yes, that’s right. So I’m gonna have to talk to DJ Funk Master Jam about this, make sure he’s aware.

:blush:

The Korg Microsampler samples from 48khz right down to 6khz. The latter gives you 21 minutes sample time and interesting crunchy, grainy results. Resampling and slicing sequencer, great midi implementation, on board fx, a keyboard and a couple of handy little slots for your phone/sweets/ecstasy. It’s cheap as chips and runs on batteries… worth a gander
Or an OP-1?

3 Likes

VolcaSample is highly under-rated. I regret selling mine.
The analog isolator keeps it nice and thick, unlike the original Korg ES-1 Electribe (also 32khz sampling). The ES-1 was my first sampler, 16 years ago, and I always found it horribly thin and plastic sounding for a sampler.

The fact that the VolcaSample has its own sequencer makes it a great sketch pad, and when running the internal sequencer whilst sequencing it with an Elektron, you can get some wild rhythms going.

The only disadvantage it has, which is present across the Volca range, is its low output. This is only a big deal if you’re going into hardware which doesn’t have an input gain control (Analog Rytm). If you’re going into the OT or a mixer, it’s not an issue.

If you’re wanting a cheap pedal to resample through, check out the TC Electronic MojoMojo.

For the $, a used OP-1 is king of lo-fi sampling, IMO.

3 Likes

Ensoniq EPS-M or EPS16+ rackmount. You can make it sound lo if or just give it a lo-fi.

The EPS classic or EPS M can make drums sound clear and punchy after the 20.3KHz, mark. You can drive the signal in to get it agressive or just at a normal range for better headroom.

1 Like

Machinedrum UW?

4 Likes

How about an analog heat from the cue output back into the octatrack inputs? I am rather curious about the heats capability to grit samples up like an sp1200 or even oto biscuit. Anybody with experience that can comment on such usage?

1 Like

I love the sound of the DAC on the Sampltrak. It’s weird with midi triggering in that you have to send a note length long enough to play the whole sample. That’s a quirk the OT is perfect for. Tossing samples back between the OT and the ST is great fun, the compressor on the ST is dope, actually a lot of great effects in that box.

You can even control an effect parameter via midi, plus sync the effect to MIDI. Check out the roland SP forums and an old archived Sampltrak forum out there for some good chat on that box.

Decimort 2 with SP1200 emulation plus output to heat with a low mix value should get the job done.

Decimort certainly looks interesting, but would like to keep things out of the box for the time being.

If I were using an OT, enjoyed the Elektron workflow, and wanted an option for more color, I’d think it would make most sense to pair it with an Analog Heat. I’d spend the money on something like that, or some SSL 4000 clone for sure since the OT already does a good enough job of sampling stuff.

2 Likes

We talking 500 series or a channel? Sorry to tread jack

Either I guess. I can’t buy jack anymore anyhow because I blew my budget lol. That Stam 4000 bus compressor is a bit under $700 after shipping. You can drive that sucker to get all types of tasty sounds, and give your track that finishing touch while you’re at it.

2 Likes

O

Whoops, wrong lo-fi hip-hop thread. Sorry.

2 Likes