Going to LA

It actually didn’t. Haight was kinda nasty. It’s picked up. Amoeba was just part of it getting nicer. But we are talking about Amoeba LA. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I made it glamorous in real life. When I’m down there I stay in Crenshaw and I use Wayz. Compared to SF, I found the traffic to be amazing. There are so many ways around traffic there. In SF, we have bridges… And not as many palm trees. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I drive a beige Ford Focus, but in my mind it’s really a lowered Chevy Impala. :rofl:

2 Likes

I think it also has to do with LA is used to traffic. So people roll with it. SF…it changed a LOT in the years I lived there. The traffic was getting worse and worse. And people in SF just are not used to it…so there are people that get stupid angry while driving and do some crazy things. Not that crazy shit doesn’t happen LA traffic, like a car rolling by me completely engulfed in flames….but it seems like most just are resigned to the fact that there is traffic and you’ll get there.
SF, the traffic is just madness. Saw so many dudes on motorcycles getting hit. Messed up!

1 Like

Actually, since the demic, both city’s have better traffic. The thing about SF tho is the Bay Bridge, and amount of people who have to live on the other side of it to work in SF. So the the whole city becomes a frickin bottleneck. In LA, I found if I didn’t drive a certain parts of the day and stayed off the highways, I could roll with it. Maybe it was just a change of scenery too.
Like you say, people in LA accept car culture and the city has built around that. In SF the city has done the opposite…Or actually, I’m not sure they could do much. 7 miles by 7 miles.

1 Like

Oh you’re in favour of gentrification. Noted.

I get where you’re coming from, but Amoeba did not cause gentrification and is not a particularly good example of it, either. I don’t like the slicker, more commercial parts of the Haight, but I never cared for the scruffier bits, either. It already felt ruined to me when I first visited it in '81. SF has a whole pile of very serious problems, but Amoeba isn’t one of them.

4 Likes

best post in this thread imo. i absolutely love LA, and it is one of my favorite places in the world. it IS a movie to me. but i also love big sprawling massive clusterfuck cities.
i haven’t been in many years, but let me see what i can dig up for what i did down there.

Mulholland drive at night. Getty Museum. the beaches…

3 Likes

No…I’m in favour of riding my bike to werk and not have a guy stick his ass out over the curb infront of me to take a shit.

I’m in favour of not walking down the street and seeing a guy get shot to death.

4 Likes

Haha thanks! One of the best feelings in life is when a strong opinion you hold is changed without force and and when that happened for with LA it was a particularly special example.
And I fully agree, once you settle yourself you can see that the sprawling horizon to horizon clusterfuck is part of what makes that city beautiful and full of life.
I haven’t been in years either but this thread is making me think about taking a trip down there.

4 Likes

I’d lived there for, say….at the time. My brother in-law is an LA native. He had his “tour” that he would give people visiting. So, I asked if he could give me his “famous” tour. And it was a blast. Seeing so much stuff i hadn’t seen, even after 10years. And I’m certain there was much much more.

To guy going on the trip, check out Melrose. It’s a good walk. A lot of cool little shops, comic stores, fetish shops, all kinds of stuff :slight_smile:

1 Like

we almost went the other week, but ended up going to Montreal instead, which is also an amazing, fun city (and a little more walkable than LA). Figured we’d stay in the country in case restrictions changed while we were away and coming home became difficult.
I certainly plan on taking the fiancée down there next year though! it’s been too long.

1 Like

best Indian food on the corner of melrose and labrea Anarkali Indian restaurant

2 Likes

AWESOME…ya I was born and raised in MTL, fun city. summer time is great. Jazz Fest, Reggae Fest, Comedy Fest…good times!

best city in Canada by far IMO!

2 Likes

Carnies had the cheapest beer on Sunset the last time I was there. I used to work at the Comedy Store a LONG time ago.

1 Like

Santa Monica and Venice beach.

My dog and i loved to skate up and down the boardwalk, on a nice day there’s nothing better than cruising with your bud on the beach.

Seriously bunch of haters up in here, LMAO

5 Likes

i am totally not a beach person but do enjoy the vibe in venice/santa monica/marina del rey.

1 Like

Same. Beach culture is a bit boring to me. But Venice/SM are like little city’s on the beach, with all the imperfections of the city. Also my best friend is from there. She grew up in Venice in the 70’s. I always ended up there when in LA to visit her. I know people will hate on SF as well for the homeless situation. Some people just can’t handle city problems. That’s why they have suburbs.

2 Likes

nobody suffering from homelessness more than the homeless

6 Likes