Going back to Maschine, etc

Going back to Maschine is what made me realise I don’t need the MPC Live.

• 99% of the time I produce at my desk, laptop just a few inches away;
  • Effects are top notch;
  • Workflow is great;
  • Audio track and real time stretch are coming (NI posted this on their forum a while ago as a roadmap thing);
  • Chances of a New Studio or MKIII, with Maschine 3 software are quite high.
1 Like

I’m slowly moving back to Maschine in all honesty (well, Maschine and Push 2). But, I still have a preorder down for the Live. I just really like the thought of getting out of my studio. The laptop didn’t manage this so I still have some hope the Live will.

But, Maschine + Ableton + Live + Octatrack is way overkill so will need to give things a think. I do really like the thought of a OT/Live combo for jamming out and building my loops and samples within Maschine. A lot of £££’s to tie up just to make life a little bit easier though…

I do remember long ago having Maschine and an OT and having fun with that so perhaps that would be sufficient. Who knows! Time will tell…

But yeah, like @Automageddon says, I do expect a Mk3 to appear soon. Also a Mk2 Kontrol S. If I had a magic ball and knew these were coming for certain I’d hold off. I don’t see NI going standalone but I do see them delivering a killer Studio Mk2/Maschine Mk3 soon. 2.6.5 lays the foundations nicely for the future.

2 Likes

Why not drop Ableton for the equation? Standalone Maschine has a pretty damn nice sequencer that’s under active development; they’ve just dropped a solid update with a very nice improved pattern launcher view (http://cdm.link/2017/05/maschine-2-6-5-makes-easier-manage-ideas-routings/) and they’re on track to add audio tracks for stuff like vocals later this year.

1 Like

It’s crossed my mind. I think if (when?) NI deliver audio tracks that may be the moment to seriously consider jumping off the Ableton train. Im reluctant just now as I have some great fun playing “pass the Push” when my mates are over building tunes over a couple of hours drinking!!!

I just wish NI would get MPE built into their synths already (and that Maschine could handle it). If they pulled that off then I’d be all in I think. And the ability to play multiple instruments simultaneously would be good too - ie. me on Maschine, a mate on a Kontrol.

With huge price hike :wink: as usually with Native Instruments for quite some years I find there product overpriced (to me)

1 Like

IMHO the Jam and the Mikro are both great value considering the software and sounds you get bundled with them. The MkII does seems overpriced to me right now.

3 Likes

They can handle MPE. I use the linnstrument in maschine standalone to play the Scarbee Bass guitar modules. As long as the kontakt instrument can handle MPE you are good to go with a Roli or Linnstrument.

1 Like

Ah, I don’t use Kontakt much on truth so missed that. It’s their other VSTs I’m hoping for proper MPE support with

I was playing around with FM8 and noticed the bass patches respond well to the Linnstrument. If I don’t get too busy this weekend I will try out the other Komplete synths.

Was it “plug and play” with FM8? That’s sort of always been my problem with the Roli/Linnstrument in Ableton - you needed to fanny about grouping x midi tracks and using multi timbral settings (for Omnishpere for example). Just too much hassle for me! Especially when BItwig could handle things with one instance. Anyway, I think it’s possible to replicate an MPE experience but it’s not as easy as I’d like. Having said that, I’m sure Reaktor 6 is MPE compliant.

Anyway, waffling way off topic here, sorry!

Ah…good to hear as i have a Linnstrument also…nice…:slight_smile:

1 Like

Anyone knows how Maschine and Live seem to deal with midi clock in different ways?
For example, I noticed that the 0-coast reacts to a midi clock coming from Maschine differently from the way it reacts to a clock from Live . The slope will start/stop with Live but seems to be always on with Maschine.

Same goes for the PO-12, it seems to get start/stop from Live but not from maschine…

Well I can pitch bend as I play. I am downloading the 2.6.5 update anyways tonight. I want to put it through its paces with the ideas concept. For example sample 1 bar from the rytm. Sample 1 bar from the AK. Slice it and mix those ideas up within group. Once you limit yourself to standalone mode you get creative. I also noticed that I took my 2000xl skills wi me into my studio and learned to like it more. I’ll make a Google sheet on what standalone adventures I can get into. I’ll make a tab for people to write suggestions too.

1 Like

I have a maschine but put it in the cupboard recently. NI stuff doesnt seem to play nice with my computer unfortunately. And i could never get it to load plugins into the maschine software either. Which is a shame because i really like the idea of it.
But yeah im running Ableton, OT and a bunch of other stuff hardware wise so it just was a distraction. Ill prob get it back out in a bit and spend some real time trying to get it sorted.
But time is a limited reaource at the mo!!!