Going All-Hardware performance is like going off-grid

would you rock up to a gig solely with the OT :slight_smile:

Maybe, maybe not but I’d certainly gig with just the OT and my bass or the OT and the tanbur. But I understand there are millions of ways to express oneself musically.

1 Like

You all got me thinking about an OT project where I setup different sampling trix to make dance music with just a guitar and OT, all by live sampling. One track samples guitar and has flex setup in a way to morph it into drum hits, then plays a pattern with it. One track pitch shifted for bass. One track samples then turns into granular type synth sound to be live recorded chromatically through fx, etc… Add some scenes, oh my!

2 Likes

I’ve played gigs with OT, viola, and delay pedal. Ok, I also had a mixer.

But no other gear, unless you count cables too. :wink:

3 Likes

It’s ontopic, so I have to share this. Here’s video and some explanation of a performance we did in 2012 with my ensemble, it is MD+OT with live guitar and clarinet:

I used a mixer to feed the MD ram machines and or OT and view the levels of the incoming guitar and clarinet. In some situations using the OT live as an end stage for your sound is that visually you have no accurate way to tell how loud it is. A mixer or compressor with a large 14 point level indicater makes all the difference.

I started with the just the MD as my main instrument in this ensemble, added the OT years later, never looked back. All hardware live solution for any setup, band or instruments. Amazing, mind expanding gear, built with a lot of love and quality, I truely and deeply thank Elektron for a large part of my work and hope my elektrons won’t break on my broke ass! :slight_smile:

yeah, much as i love the idea of the new Digitakt, i’m kind of thinking maybe i should go for a second hand OT and replace the OT that turned into tea :smiley:

md ot is kind of a winning combination

cheers for the vid, shall go watch now.

loving it … Currently listening to the first vid with clarinet and guitarist … occasionally i also press play on this wild video as a ‘found sound’ overlay remix, goes nicely :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Remixing live with youtube, next level!

1 Like

lol there was an app for that in 2005 although yeah just browser rocking today

Out of all of the different setups I’ve tried live I’ve had the most fun just using a rytm. Granted I’m only able to do music I’ve put together on the machine but it’s working for now. Hopefully the MPC live will open up some interesting live options to perform some other I’ve done music as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4uqaa_KG9U

1 Like

simply delightful, very cool work. Yes i do experience interest in the Mpc Live. Must admit. For one feature in particular: does it allow retiming of a loop by repitching, and thus not using a warp file? The Octatrack does not, although that is not a dealbreaker for me… And having learned the OS, i do wonder if i should just return to the Octatrack or explore new grounds.

Returning to the Machinedrum was certainly a recommendable idea. Much happier now.