Going All-Hardware performance is like going off-grid

I’m hoping the Digitakt is going to be somewhat easier to vibe with as regards file systems. Although ultimately it is up the user to refine their filing approach … and the more files and memory, the more thought required …

After ten years of Elektron using (minus 1.5 years recently of no Elektron gear) on the Machinedrum, i’m arranging the 48 sample slots to contain lower pitched sounds at the start, and higher frequency sounds towards the end.

And one drum kit sequentially for every two patterns.

Not sure if he’s still gigging this way but here’s a classic Elektron all-hardware performance:

1 Like

Seeing a good hardware tabletop performance on youtube always makes me want to impulse buy every piece of gear they show in the rig. D= Anybody else have this issue?

8 Likes

yes, that takes the “abstract sequence of letter number combinations” into the realm of something meaningful. For repetition is okay if there is a resolution of the repetition, a meaning implied by the change that the new pattern brings.

“manually step past in the song screen” … yes, very cool … cheers for this simple yet vital tip, i feel inspired to try this out.

Out of interest… how was the live performance where you stepped out of Song Mode and into Pattern Mode… Everything sound okay?

Out of interest… how was the live performance where you stepped out of Song Mode and into Pattern Mode… Everything sound okay?

Yeah, it was fine, seemless even, except it took me a moment to realise I had to go back to song mode to keep the song going.

3 Likes

I use song mode in a live situation usually for one full “song” in my live set. I really like how I can add little tricky variations here and free up my hand for other stuff. It’s disappointing to me though that you can only have 1 song loaded at a time, and I can’t chain songs like I could on the Octatrack. One work around though would be to create an entire set in song mode with loops at the end that I would have to manually step past. Seems like a a lot of work and still haven’t tried this.

1 Like

yup or maybe go into Pattern Mode and load a new song

cant change songs without stopping playback :’(

While a song is playing in song mode, go into Pattern mode and (whilst play is still playing) change the pattern to make it effectively in pattern mode then load a new song from there :slight_smile: … playback continues realtime it would appear.

1 Like

playback continues but the new track doesn’t load. I just tried it again.

1st pattern of the new song in fact loads and plays on repeat [whilst in pattern mode] until you go back into song mode and activate a line of the new song :slight_smile:

2 Likes

cool tip: edit the current song directly from pattern mode while the current pattern plays. design a 32 bar buildup and fill using 8 patterns while the Pattern Mode continues to play the selected pattern.

When changing from Pattern Mode to Song Mode during realtime play, the bpm will not change unless there is a value entry in the (optional) bpm value entry space.

in this example, the bpm does change … not when i load the Song, but when changing from Pattern to Song mode. It is the Default Song and the bpm value is entered, hence the sudden speed-up to 120bpm. So the way to achieve seamless switching is to not enter a bpm value in song editing.

2 Likes

Hey @previewlounge do you know if a similar operation can be done with the arranger on the OT?

I’m not at my machine so I can’t check atm :wink:

i don’t recall … the Liptons Iced Tea incident happened soon after the OT’s arrival, after that i tried to press as few buttons as possible.

No worries :slight_smile: Sorry that happened to your OT. I think I’ll have some time to try out some arranger stuff this afternoon.

we dont keep it in sync. we always forget. thats why its always something new in the end :smiley:

i have the OT+A4+AR+AH as well (soon the DT will be added too). I NEVER keep track of whats going on on a single machine either :slight_smile: i start jamming right away; see where it leads to. if i dont get it done on one day - it will be something different the other day, for sure :smiley: i take this as my source of inspiration :wink:

2 Likes

i wasn’t ready for the OT :slight_smile:

I feel the same some days :loopy:

i’ve only recently explored properly the play/record machines on the machinedrum, next step is to internalise the information and improvise with the situation.

i thought the OT would be better than the Machinedrum, only it is different, not better. Both are amazing.

working with the Machinedrum as a 4-track looper holds great promise of fun.

Sounds cool :wink: I’ve no idea how sampling works on the MD, but being able to mix synthesis and sampling easily on a single box seems pretty wicked.
Overall, though, the OT offered maximum diversity of sound for what I wanted to accomplish. I considered the MD for a long time.

Off grid: Yep I think I get the connotation: certainly the lack of large screens and the linear arrangements allow a more free play approach to making sound, and this has its risks and rewards.