Glitch music recommendations that don’t sound like dubstep?

i remember these days browsing the bins for cool looking artwork or the undeniable logo of your favorite label. it was when going record shopping was a real event, i’d spend all tuesday (old record release day in the states) at record stores. There’s also a lot of albums i bought in those days that i don’t have anymore cause album buying could really be hit and miss.

i appreciate the loose genre on things, it makes it easier to cultivate a music collect and to obtain more that stays around versus i got this album tried it and dont like it so it will sit on the shelf for the next five years. getting too specific on genres and labeling almost always leads to bickering.

ultimately, a friend a long time ago told me something that stuck “there are only two genres. shit i like and shit i dont like.” :grinning:

4 Likes

Glitchy and soundscapy more on the electro end of things in my mind but there are some basslines

2 Likes

Totally.

From a personal point of view I just don’t buy this idea of any music being beyond classification. I can’t begin to count the amount of interviews with bands I would use to read where they would say things like, ‘We’ve really taken a new direction this time and I’ve got no idea how to describe it - kind of like Can meets King Tubby at a party hosted by Kraftwerk… etc.’ Then you’d hear this new record and it would sound like the fucking Strokes.

2 Likes

I’m with 123alastairj on this - it’s choppy, but it’s not “Glitch”, which I take to mean ‘Music made by people who are interested in using the sounds of errors (digital or analogue) as an expressive tool’ - all the little clicks and noise bursts you get from doing edits without fades, or the sound of a CD skipping, or the sound of a broken analogue filter that makes hisses and clicks cause it was dropped down a set of stairs.

Traxman wants to bring the SOUL back, and he is damn good at it :smiley:

That’s not fair - ‘Electronic’ is used as a name for music made with a set of tools, Classical is used as a name for a 3-400 year time span, Country’s kind of broad, and then Reggae is super specific.
Reggae isn’t a bad genre name, cause it’s specific without being too specific, but Electronic and Classical are stupid names, because they’re so general that they aren’t that useful.

Depends what you mean by ‘stupid’. If someone describes a record to me as ‘classical’, I have a good idea it won’t sound like Black Flag or Kendrick Lamar. If someone describes a record to me as ‘electronic’, I’m not expecting John Fahey or Carole King. It gives you some idea, but they are very broad genres as you say.

1 Like

[1:50] on sounds like a skipping CD to me but what do I know.

Also Jlin.

Its true that alot of juke/160 has a stuttery feel, but I always associate it more with ADHD and they way psychedelics n weed make your mind ”loop” and fragment… whereas I do not associate the same feelings towards IDM/glitch stuff, which always feels more ”cranial” to me somehow… more deliberate is perhaps what I mean. 160 feels more like humorous/playful, glitchy stuff can feel dreadfully serious at times… YMMV as usual

More on topic, hows Team Doyobi? Used to love this stuff way back then. The last track still gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside, almost got thrown out from a DJ booth once for playing it lol

2 Likes

It’s fun digging up old tracks that I used to hear in clubs 15+ years ago. Here are a couple of old glitchy IDM tracks.

1 Like

Has anyone mentioned Oval? The humanity…

2 Likes

Mego label

3 Likes

2 Likes

This a great thread…all the opinions make sense even if some differ from each other…the nature of the converging and / or splintering… sign of the times…

1 Like

and yea, my favorite autechre track ever.

this never gets old

a 20 year old tune, now

related: http://www.factmag.com/2017/02/26/autechre-chiastic-slide-20-years/

4 Likes

my favourite autechre track ever. No words…

4 Likes
3 Likes

Serves as a good reminder that you don’t need much more than a drum machine and clever programming chops.

2 Likes

http://www.thrilljockey.com/artists/microstoria

Microstoria made some great albums during the late 90s/early 00s… you can stream model 3, step 2 at the link. More sound art-ish, like Oval, but prettier and more detailed.