Giving us the brain of their digital synths

Good point here. And not the intention of the thread to diminish the efforts involved in all of the detail that is part of making a piece of hardware or a piece of software, vst or otherwise.
I’m interested in it from more of a big picture trend perspective I suppose. And I am seeing a trend that I think is pretty cool. Unsurprising that it is larger companies with bigger teams and deeper resources who we are leading it.

Moog’s recent dive into software is a particularly interesting one to me, as they have long been synonymous with analog. But they have been making really strong software products that I imagine are seeing a lot of success despite a saturated plugin market.

Animoog came out for the iPad in 2011.

1 Like

35 years!

(I have a DX-7IID. And I have the same issue with remembering years/decades.)

1 Like

A recent trend doesn’t imply there was nothing before it.

1 Like

Because companies are still worried about piracy, and I see it as more neutral so long as the hardware still continues to see its own firmware/OS improvements.

It also really depends on how interested the companies are in managing the plugin development. Some subcontractors are better than others…

for sure. and I think that was the last thing they did (other than revisions to it) before the MF plugins. but the MF’s are a hardware product that’s been dead for a while anyway.

2 Likes

Yea it’s true. Moog’s SW releases don’t really fit with the theme of digital HW releases that are offered in SW at the same time.

Isn’t it ironic that plug-in interfaces are directly often inspired by their hardware variety? Does this make sense ergonomically? How come that after 40 years we are still clinging to a mouse for “control” of music software most of the time? Why do computer keyboards not come with any mappable encoders these days ?

As much progress as there has been under the hood in computers and on the software side, the front-end side of the hardware feels dated.