Giving samples the "vintage" treatment

If you’re more interested in sampling artefacts rather than vinyl crackling, then Bitwig’s Bit-8 plugin might be worth a look.

It’s not just a simple bit-reduction effect as its name suggestions; instead it gives you full control on pretty much all the deficiencies that gave those old samplers their distinctive sound including sample clock speed and jitter, various distortion types and shapes, and most interestingly different bit quantisation types.

Combined with Bitwigs modulators (especially LFO and envelope following), this can give really nice results.

indeed. i gave up fighting it. i’d work things very carefully (ok, not carefully but you get the point) with plugins, ozone, etc. but another pass into the mixer (noise, additive eq, cheap built-in effects) and most tracks sound that much better. seems wrong but my ears nearly always like it.

1 Like

Been wanting one of these since I saw someone use it as an ambient pad machine by recording a chord to each track on a looped cassette. Tried it with OTs recorders and it worked but I can tell it wasn’t quite as fun as it would be with real tapes.

1 Like

Have not done that yet, time for music and gear is limited these days. But made a drum loop tape with adjustable pitch + Kick-Snare-Hat on separated channels. Will make a few more of those. The pads is also worth a long session or 2,3. Maybe soon!

I love the tape vibe, makes me dream of a reel2reel somewhere in the future when I am retired :smiley:

2 Likes

POST OF THE YEAR!

respekko

(will be cutting some vinyl via this source, thanks!)

1 Like

This is good advice.

Tom Ellard doing this sort of thing in 1986-

2 Likes

Likely already mentioned, but VST-wise I like Izotope Vinyl, ToneBusters Ferox and Reelbus, RX950 by Mathieu Demange and Goodhertz’s Vulf compressor. I also like to process sounds on the Sp-404SX using the vinyl FX/compressor.

I can’t recommend the FAIRFIELD SHALLOW WATER pedal for adding a tone of character.

2 Likes

Oh wow and I thought I never needed a modulation type effect! Always was more than happy with my slightly modded Phaser pedal, but man this thing is on a whole new level of trippy‘ness :open_mouth:

Hello,

note sure if it was already mentionned.
I use softube tape, it is nice and can go to extremes in some extent.
I also use a lot XLN Audio RC-20 Retro color for all kinds of vintage textures. it’s great!

2 Likes