Give up Machinedrum for Digitakt?

I owned MDUW for about a year, got it thinking to use sampling as well.
But somehow I never really use the sampling part- found it a bit of hassle.
I want to do more spontaneous real time sampling, editing on a fly type of thing.
I love the sound of drum synth on MD, but making a few simple drum tracks is all I seem to do now.

Just tried DT briefly at a shop and I like it a lot.
I wonder if DT is more explorative/ fun? How do you like it compared to MD?
I am gearing towards to making more experimental sounds and I think it might be more for me.

Now that MD’s becoming a rarity, I am just giving it more thoughts.

Thanks!

Sampling and file management are way more user friendly on the DT, thats why I did the same switch. Absolutely love the sound and vibe of the MD but sampling n saving used to do my nut. Also the sequencer is way more versatile on dt (different track lengths, trig contitions etc)
Every machine has some form of omission or shortcoming but for me the DT remedies those of the MD and Im writing much better and more fluid stuff now with the DT.

Using the MD synthesis engines alongside the DT’s sampling could also be a thing.

3 Likes

Do it holmes, the Digitakt is much suave in use.:innocent:

2 Likes

You loose 8 potential sounds if you trade up to the DT plus allot of other nice touches the mduw has per part which really really help with sculpting the sounds.

2 Likes

This is pretty much what I was curious of. Thanks:)

1 Like

True that. If I were making more percussive/ techno etc, the MD would be much more in use…

1 Like

I believe there’s still a bit of prep that need be done on the DT which is more instant in the MDUW. Also, I believe you’ll lose a bit of External processing ability trading the MDUW for the DT.

Not to mention that magnificent synthesis.

Like, something I’m wanting to try, I’m working with a spoken word guy- and I want to process his voice. So I’m just going to set up a kit of Input machines with different settings so I can do a scenes kinda thing.

If I’m wrong about the external processing, someone let me know

1 Like

if creating & working with samples is your thing, the digitakt may well offer a more streamlined workflow.

but if making experimental sounds is your primary goal, you’ve got a gold mine in the MD’s synth engines. hunt around in both the new and old forums’ files sections and load up whatever sysex you can find as starting points. years of exploration and astonishment await you.

3 Likes

Try making a track just using the MDUW- and also, just using the Cowbell engines and prepare to fall in love with it all over again :slight_smile:

Experimental isn’t a sound, it’s a philosophy- and that philosophy is more applicable to the MDUW than to the DT imo

5 Likes

I am packing and unpacking and packing Md… Jk.
Yeah it’s a hard decision, I often read about how capable MD is yet I only seem to just work in the same way.
I was more getting into vocal manipulation or capturing live sounds and thought of getting SP404, but then DT came out.
The youtubes make the workflow seem so easy, so I thought to ask here.
Will give it some time to decide. Anyway appreciating the feedbacks:)

If you find yourself continuing to use the machine in the same way- you’re going to end up falling into the same rut with other gear.

Stick with the machinedrum and try to work it from different angles

2 Likes

If you can keep the Machinedrum and save up for the digitakt that would be the route I recommend. Like commented already, these two are definitely NOT one for one swaps. You lose and gain from each to the other. I’ve been hooking up the digitakt to everything I can and I’ve been having a blast with everything I’ve done. However, the best I’ve come across and the most fun for me so far has been Machinedrum and digitakt together. I’ve gained conditional trigs, micro-tuning, poly timing, simpler sampling, a different kind of cntrl-all machine and much more to my Machinedrum.

If thinking the other way, I’ve gained the awesome synthesis, sample and resample, addition midi or audio tracks just to name a few for the digitakt. You want to talk about crazy weirdness? Throw in an octatrack with it. Time goes out the window. Forget about limits on lfo’s. I could go on and on about the md and dt paired up almost how the md and A4 paired up or the MnM and ar together are great matches.

I’m just saying I agree with all of the previous posts but consider using them together if you can. Save up for it but keep the one you have. It opens the doors of your older drum machines, synths, samples, noises, Circuit bent toys, pretty much anything you throw at it. Don’t underestimate the Machinedrum because it isnt being produced anymore. There is much more to it than people who never had one knows about.

7 Likes

do not… you will need both

3 Likes

Don’t give up the MD, you could use the DT in combination with the MD and it will fit your needs almost perfectly. Somehow confusing that the DT comes as a drum sampler but imho it wont never substitute the MD.

2 Likes

just popping in to say thanks for the feedbacks.
After having spent couple of days madly digging in MD, decided to keep it after all and dissed the idea of DT. It is a sweet machine… Thx!

4 Likes

I see you posted your response, but throwing in my .02c for others possibly in the same dilema.

I might be in the honeymoon phase, but I just recently aquired an MD UW+ and would not sell it alone for a DT. I have the ‘Drum Trinity’ (MD, AR and DT) now and they all distinctly bring something to the table. While the DT is pretty awesome on it’s own, I actually use it less as a drum machine and more as a general sampler and sequencer. I find the MD and AR much more immediate in terms of generating and sequencing drums. I have loaded up the DT with drum samples that I can’t get out of the others though.

Given the choice, I’d save for a DT or other machine and keep the MD (or AR if that’s the case). I totally get many people wont have the luxury of having both let alone all three. I’m very lucky. That said, having the ability use each, I can say they all bring something unique to the table. YMMV on how important that is, but I’m personally hoarding all of them. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes