Getting on a label

Probably the best advice on this thread

1 Like

Okā€¦
I was hoping that getting on a label would make things more real than sending tracks in the internet void. To meet people who care and give you criticism and a technical support. But maybe things arenā€™t done this wayā€¦
Regarding skills, Iā€™m glad for you if your motivation is enough to get you where you want. For me, I feel that Iā€™m limited and I would learn a lot from others

Iā€™ve been get contacted by a small label for a small EP(3 tracks).
They loved the music and wanted to make a digital release. Itā€™s always nice to be there, we talked a lot about the mix and how to get it better, so I worked for it( Iā€™m not a mixing guyā€¦but we learn each paceā€¦), and that is positive, but I donā€™t think it will sell anything more than what Iā€™m doing for myself(soā€¦no salesā€¦;-)) and I donā€™t think they have any good music industry contactā€¦ motivation was ok for some weeks, butā€¦well, all continues as sameā€¦ soā€¦itā€™s always on yourselfā€¦

I like the spirit :grin:
Joke aside, I take the ā€œknow your stuff and what you want to do with itā€ adviceā€¦
Donā€™t you think it sucks to have to do everything by yourself? Who can be good in creating things but also mixing, advertising, graphics, etcā€¦?

So youā€™re tracks were already released somewhere when the label got in touch with you? and you worked again on it with their feedback?

I think it sucks, all I want to do is music :slightly_smiling_face:. But as far as I can tell, most labels expect you to deliver a finished product anyway. They wonā€˜t do this stuff for you. Times are gone, where sending in simple demos was the way to contact them.
Make connections. The internet can be a beautiful place for that, forums, youtube etc You might find people that want to collaborate. People who like doing artwork or videos etc and are looking for musicians they enjoyā€¦

I remember there was a lot of experience shared in this thread as well

4 Likes

Thanks, Iā€™m going to read this

More or lessā€¦my tracks were on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZhf9P3g8PXtcASWuh19Row/videos) they fall in love with one track, and then they proposed to release 3 tracksā€¦ My tracks are mixed and mastered by me, and iā€™m not a proā€¦so yes, I remixed with some feedback and then they mastered somewhere by a proā€¦ The EP is coming end of month. You need to make your own promotion and be confident one day you will be seen by someoneā€¦ But the market is, like earth, overpopulated :wink:
Anyway, I donā€™t think we will earn any money, even to pay the masteringā€¦hahaha!

2 Likes

If you are highly marketable enough for a label to notice you all that anyone in this world is going to do is take advantage of you, whether thatā€™s one of the million small unknown labels that want to use you to start themselves off or a big label that wants to rinse you dry. Record labels are a product of a different time, forget about it. You have the internet for all that now.

If you feel like youā€™re sending music into the void youā€™re doing it wrong imo. I completely get it cause I felt the same way too. You need to get out there and work with real people. Donā€™t just be one of a billion soundcloud accounts jamming links everywhere. Donā€™t bother occasionally posting videos to an empty Instagram expecting anything other than another random producers put a ā€œ:fire: this slaps, hey check out my trackā€ in the comments once a month. You want real interaction, get out and meet real people, in real life. Not right now obviously, but when things stabilise. Make consistent content, make interesting videos. Play small gigs, talk to people, collaborate. Slowly work with someone bigger than yourself each time then when youā€™ve built a decent base people smaller than will come to you. If you want a label for the networking at that point you are the label. Then if you ever really hit the big time a real label will be in contact with you soon enough

7 Likes

Yeah, I think I gave up finding a label for my music, Iā€™d much rather spend my time making music and sharing it, than trying to create artificial relationships with people I donā€™t know in the hope they will release it for me.
I realise now that the only aspect that I would really appreciate is having someone give me objective criticism and helping me edit my stuff. And I can find the communotary aspect here!
But other than that, I believe now that those stories from guys reaching out to label, getting signed out of the blue and enjoying a success story are rare exceptions, otherwise they are mainly friends stories, so get out and connect in real life I guess

Interesting subject

Speaking generally, I think many people are still motivated by the status symbol of being signed, which is one way they hook you in on deeply shitty contracts. There have been some famous horror stories of label mistreatment over the years, and Iā€™ve heard a lotttttttt of bad stuff first hand from friends in bands. But Iā€™d be extremely interested in the flipside of this: Has anyone got any feedback of labels with a really positive reputation for nurturing talent and having musiciansā€™ best interests at heart??

Otherwise, yeah putting yourself out there (real world or virtual) to connect with scenes, co-operatives, musical support groups of whatever kind will likely get you what youā€™re hoping for, keeping control of your work, without needing to sell your soul. The shift away from the need for corporate promotion is an extremely welcome one, but I guess for people not so comfortable with self promotion, progress could be a bit tricky.

No, I love it. Itā€™s all so easy these days.
In fact, Iā€™ve just finished the first draft for the artwork of an EP Iā€™m going to be uploading to Bandcamp in the coming weeks. It took me about 20 minutes with a cool photo a friend sent me and some free image software on my phone.
As for mixing and mastering, fuck it, just do what I do and slap ā€œlo-fiā€ in front of everything. Or send it to http://hermetechmastering.com/ for a damn good seeing to.

Youā€™re a member of the best forum in the world for DIY musicians. If you want help with anything, ask here, someone will be able to help you out.

8 Likes

well said :clap:

2 Likes

Start off as the child of a rich Hollywood exec

Get a job on the Disney channel

Leave and start to dress in a more ā€˜matureā€™ fashion/find drugs/partying

Release debu album

Collect Grammy

Develop drug problem, or go into doing kids film sound tracks

Retire at 23

11 Likes

I think for bands, it makes more sense because getting professional studio time is still expensive, plus if you ever want to do vinyl releases, same thing applies.

My friend from Malta who records bedroom pop under the name JOON just got signed by a US label called ITALIANS DO IT BETTER. Sheā€™s no amateur and in fact runs a small mastering business and works as a sound designer, but she cited being able to reach an audience outside of her own network (Malta is tiny) was a huge motivation. On top of that, the label owner mixes everything for her, then they get in their own mastering engineer and take care of marketing. So basically, she can concentrate on writing music, and when the world situation calms down, Iā€™m pretty sure theyā€™ll get her over to America for some shows.

Hereā€™s her debut single if youā€™re interested:

11 Likes

got some mo, warpaint, daughter vibes from this. Great vid.

1 Like

When I was djing weekly I worked to put stuff out on labels because it helped getting gigs, having a label after your name. Such a different playing field now with anyone being able to set up a digital label for very little. Means its easier to get onto a label though getting onto established labels is still as hard

Doing it yourself has more feeling of accomplishment and down to you to promote and sell it

So basically getting on a label doesnā€™t hold the same prestige as it once did imo unless on a respected or popular label where you are picked over tons of promos sent to them

1 Like

Not necessarily asking for detailed insight in a post, but maybe you have some resources to point people to - how would you set about distributing and promoting your music for yourself?

Iā€™m just starting out making music and I donā€™t know where to start to get more than a few dozen people to listen to my stuff.

Distrokid if you want your music on Spotify, Apple Music etc.

Having a YouTube channel with your music/videos/gear rants and instagram that you actively use and market yourself on will get you followers naturally.

Labels looking for new artists will naturally gravitate to these kinds of channels and will be looking for people with an already established fanbase and who use these channels well and can do their own marketing.

Invest in what you produce by getting a short run of tapes or vinyl made and send them out to DJā€™s and ā€œInfluencersā€. Everyone loves a free vinyl! Do something special with it, make it stand out :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Nope. My stuff was never gonna appeal to many people though and I managed to get radio play without it (and make a few sales) so Iā€™m not too fussed. Happy to keep plugging away doing my own shit and whatever will be will be

2 Likes