Getting old, feeling less Braindancey

Yess, wisp ia incredible! This album blew my brain to bits when i first heard it! Nice to see someone else recognize his greatness.

Killer stuff, had a hard time finding his stuff online

Love Wisp! This is such a great album here

3 Likes

I love most of these artists and still find it very fascinating how this stuff is produced. Got a bit tired of trying to sound like them though :slight_smile:
I was more into the glitchy, micro editing IDM stuff first, but now I enjoy slower electro grooves more. But taste can change a lot over time

1 Like

Class mate

Oh wow, he was your class mate eh? Dude’s from Niagara Falls.

Steve Brule Idk GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

1 Like

much time, anally retentive daw detailing, not sharing until their vision of perfection is attained. i think they live with each production for years, finely tuning before arriving at a finished version they love. i admire the resilience and care for each piece of true audio artistry they create.

basically the opposite of my approach, record whatever happened in that moment you’re in front of the machines. hope it’s a vibe that can connect with someone.
(having said that there’s a few amazing tracks people have made that are just that…)

3 Likes

My old pal Dave Headcleaner’s brand of braindance.
From an album promoted / distributed by Rephlex in the early naughties

He has an uncanny knack of being able to let it rip with any and every machine I’ve seen him get his hands on, just dives in and twiddles dem knobs.

1 Like

I can totally feel this. Love Aphex, Squarepusher, etc, and tried for many years to incorporate some elements into my work. But now hitting 45 and working like crazy in my day job, the last thing I want to do is do anything that feels like hustle. Every moment of work is micro edits and complexity. Like many here, moving more towards mellow and ambient works.

2 Likes

I’m like in reverse I guess! The older I get the more braindanc-y stuff I make.

Recent ->

4 Likes

Love that 2nd track.

Hmmm… I’m starting to feel braindancey again… maybe purely out of spite to myself

I’ve enjoyed the comments. This place is always good for a laugh when I treat it like my public diary of a failed idm producer

This track was my bohemian rhapsody:

It’s like 10 years old but at the time I felt like id reached my creative pinnacle, and now when I hear it I just hear the youthful energy of my twenty-something self which I’m not so sure I could ever replicate, I also didn’t give a shit about production quality or gear back then, weird how that seeps in

3 Likes

@williohm, Definitely a rhapsody, cool stuff. (girl/boy vibes :slight_smile: )

Yeah I shamelessly used those pcm string plucks

1 Like

so good though :stuck_out_tongue:

Girl / Boy song meets DJ Shadow

1 Like

This thread is a new music to my ears goldmine

The Gentle People, for example

This is brilliant - thanks for sharing

1 Like

As much as I enjoy making tracks that are “busy,” I also get obsessed with individual sounds.
Sometimes these turn into tracks that are extremely minimal compared to what I usually go after.
Still though, I always think of my music in terms of live sets.
What do I want to start with, move into, change the mood with, ease up, then bring it all home within 40mins leaving them wanting more as opposed to overstaying my welcome.
I’m always chasing this set in my imagination and occasionally get close, but there’s still plenty of attempts in me, even at 48.
I’m also still taking drugs that promote neurogenesis in an attempt to strike new paths of creativity.

Fucking about time someone mentioned Trackermatte and Monolith.

Been into them for years. Always brilliant.

2 Likes

I was inspired by this and some of the stuff I was hearing - took that into this mornings noodle :slight_smile:

I think I tried to make Braindance - maybe it’s just bad breakbeat? Had fun anyway… :crazy_face:

1 Like