Getting a Digitone with my Digitakt soon - a few questions

Hey! I fell in love with my Digitakt. I left ableton alone for a while, having fun engaging with knobs in the hardware realm.

A few questions.

1. Any good recommended case to hold both of them together when travelling?

2. I thought about getting a Keystep with my Digitone so I can easily play parts and some velocity (I’m more of a player than a sequence guy) - any other option you’d consider?

3. What good, cheap desk stand can I get so I won’t have to slouch over them? I heard about the IKEA thing, but it looks like it’ll slide away when I play them.

4. The most important question - how does overbridge work with 2 elektron devices? Can I get all 8 tracks of the Digitakt and 4 tracks of the Digitone?

Thank you so much! Really excited about getting a Digitone today.

…always got to have them covered properly…the plastic dust covers from elektron do good protection against dust AND for traveling at once…

…placing them next to each other is best for handling them both at once…
since most are right handed players…tone to the right…
mind a little little gap between them, for attaching the covers…any little rubbery, foam thingy will do good between them…

…saying so, put them next to each other, mind the cable spacing in the back, measure that and find some small flightcase to carry them cabled and powered…

…any little wooden blocks can angle them then in any way u like…on any table…

keystep is most common solution for spending the tone a keyboard…and it’s always good to do so…opens up the tone to it’s full potencial…

…so u might consider this also, when placing them in a box…

…working hand in hand with a computer…best way with ob is to don’t bother to use it as a plug in…most fun is, to run them both into ob stand alone…and then use those stems in any daw of ur choice…it’s way more opening up, to firs finish the musical mind with these to harware beuaties, capture the results via ob stand alone…and then go final step from there…

enjoy ur new fm baby…

1 Like

thanks so much for the reply man.
I’ll get a dust cover asap.
I want to send the stems from OB to ableton only to mix / master them both.
But will OB recognize I have both Digitakt and Digitone? I want all stems to be workable

…if u use ob stand alone u don’t have to worry…these both boxes make a perfect instrument once working together…

ob will pick all single audio events in single sequencer lane trax…so no worries…once u captured all that at once or in single steps u can easily transfer those stems to any daw to finish the final details…

1 Like

I didn’t know that!
It’s sooo useful! I thought I can only work like that in ableton, but making stems independantly is so much better. Thank you so much!

I’m on Mac and can run all DT and DN tracks into Ableton Live 9 simultaneously so long as I create an aggregate device within the Audio Midi app that comes with Utilities on Mac. Works like a charm :wink:

Edit: this is with Overbridge plug-ins so you get full automation control over all the parameters at the same time too

1 Like

lol i read that “arpeggiated” device. I thought you could route an arpeggiator to the midi channel and that’s how you juggle channels through OB.
man i gotta stop smoking weed

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

another stupid question, will 1 foot TRS Hosa cables be enough length to connect the Digitakt + Digitone side by side? Don’t have it here yet to measure

100% on getting a keystep. Probably the best midi controller I’ve used. Always having a few sh-101 style sequencers on hand helps in many ways.

3 Likes

i don’t think i’m gonna use the sequencer. just looks like a capable midi keyboard :X

hey mate can you please reiterate that?
I can only see my Digitone in OB when it is plugged… can’t see my Digitakt so I can’t track the 8 tracks from it… I want to be able to track both machines (with all their seperate tracks)

…check on all involved devices for latest update first…also ob software…
read ob’s minimum support needs closely…
…make sure ur not trying ur luck on catalina as hosting osx for now…
…make sure u got two independent usb ports with full datatransfer speed ranges for both hardware machines connected to ur computer…
in case of doubts, use the main usb port of ur computer, make sure it talks usb 3 also and connect elektrons overhub with that one only…don’t trust standard hubs…

for closer and further troubleshooting details check actual ob thread here…

1 Like