Generative track with physical modeling synthesis

https://soundcloud.com/knobgoblin/generativekarplussydemos5

100% physical modeling synthesis. Started building it in Reaktor over the weekend. It’s still in progress, but it’s giving pretty awesome results so far :robot:

10 Likes

Really like this. :thup:

Great stuff!

What did you use? Did you build it from the ground up or are this specific ensembles or even Blocks?

Thanks for listening guys, was feeling pretty good that I finally cracked the phys-mod nut. Had a number of unsuccessful attempts over the years, but this one seems genuinely useful and makes a wide variety of sounds. Still tweaking it and trying to make it more stable ( it occasionally blows up in infinite feedback if you aren’t careful) but I think the synthesis structure is done

Built from the ground up, mostly in primary, a touch of core.

1 Like

Oh yeah! This is absolutely great work. Lights up a different part of my brain than my usual listening material. Intriguing, foreign, mysterious, exotic. Notes and textures swirling, flittering, sliding, and lightly skipping down dimmed and darkened market streets. My senses are overloaded, in a good way. Man, I can almost reach out and touch these notes. Did someone put something in my coffee this morning? Wtf? Pardon me, but I must go explore some physical modeling synths now.

3 Likes

Incredible stuff, not just in terms of sound design but also arrangement… It’s very human and loose. How was this sequenced?

1 Like

Thanks! It’s my homemade generative sequencer controlling everything. I’ve been working on it for 4-5 years and it’s becoming a lot more musical as I refine it.

7 Likes

Damn, super cool. Any plans to share or sell the reaktor ensembles you’re working on?

Yes! I am working with someone now to help me get the UI a bit more manageable, but I am planning on putting out at least the sequencers and the fx section of my environment. The fx section had to be taken out from this version because the physmod synth is pretty CPU heavy at the moment. The fx are functionally done, just needs UI love. Sequencers are mostly there, still have some bugs and functional refining to do, so that’s a little further down the road. This synth is basically done other than needing to stabilize the feedback paths better so that it doesn’t blow up in dc offset and noise under certain conditions

4 Likes

A quick rundown of the modular multi fx

Compressor
Chorus/flange/phasing
Pitch and frequency shifting
Reverb
Buffer fx/time stretch/reverse
Psychoacoustic panner/Leslie effect
Filtering
Multiple delay implementations
Multiple forms of distortion
Fixed filterbank/resonator
Ring mod wavefolder

Sequencer, LFO’s, envelope followers and generators, comparitor
Modular routing
4 VCA’s
a 2 channel mixer and a 4 channel mixer
Mega feedback
high and low shelving eq on master

1 Like

It sounds like some people playing electric guitar, hand drums of different kinds, a cello, and an electric harp, and they were super baked and working on the soundtrack to some mysterious film…
And that’s amazing!

4 Likes

you get me

1 Like

https://soundcloud.com/knobgoblin/physmod3fix2a

2 Likes

Nice