Gear Lust -- Octatrack plus confusion

It does look interesting! I watched the loopop review earlier today. But I’m a bit too invested in the Elektron workflow I think. The fact they all pattern change together, but most importantly you turn them all off and you don’t have to save anything. Not having to deal with saving constantly is probably the best thing about them for me, it’s spoiled me when I think about other gear. I’m not sure how black box works in that sense.

As for OT vs DT, I don’t find them similar at all, they compliment each other very well, and midi on the DT is great to work with. I love how Mutes work too, I wish the DN had the same all accessible mute mode, it’s a pain working with blocks of four.

In terms of OT looping, I haven’t had much luck with pickup machines, it works for a while and then I get the buffer issues even with it internally clocked. Seems like once it happens it happens constantly in the project. As a result I don’t often use it.

I’d find it hard to choose between the OT and the DT if I had to choose one, but would certainly come down on the OT, it’s just so versatile. But on the other side the focus and simplicity of DT is pure joy to use.

I hope when OB is finalised and settled, these newer machines will see some further development, and all will at least get the LSB update that they have added to the DN (even though it’s broken currently). This has been a pain for me on the OT for years, but now I have some hope :slight_smile:

1 Like