Gainstaging help

That wouldn’t work I’m afraid, the headphone adaptor only supports mono sound input for a microphone on a TRRS jack (with stereo output in the other direction).

You have to use an interface of some kind, which is why the Go:Mixer looks like a really good solution, it’s just a bit fiddly and annoying with the levels. There aren’t many other options. The iRig Pro Duo is like twice the price. You might be able to use the camera connection kit with a cheaper USB interface - not sure I’m though, I have no experience of that.

1 Like

Thanks for your help. I already bought the iRig Pro Solo a few months ago, and I did not think I would need the stereo input - until now lol.

I could use my RME UFX in class compliant mode and use the camera connection kit, but that presents other hassles.

What a pain! I wish the GO:Mixer would work. :frowning:

I have thought about recording the audio and video separately, but I have heard syncing up audio and video is pain. I’m going to research that some more.

Thanks again.

I mean, unless you have one of the faulty units (where the levels are much too low), the Go:Mixer does work, you just have to watch the levels. I bought it to record little Instagram jams off my mixer’s aux out without having to get a computer involved (I’ve since deleted my Instagram, oh well), but I had to bin quite a few ‘takes’ because the levels were too hot and I didn’t realise. Just a bit frustrating, is all.

Yeah - my main concern is the random clipping and crackling I am getting even at really low volumes, which is similar to what you described above. It is possible it is not the GO:Mixer’s fault. I need to experiment more.

If it’s really bad, considering returning it, I had a faulty one and got it replaced after reading about the known issue on some units.

1 Like

Okay, went through the Mackie at full volume from the main outs - zero crunching.

So as several of you suggested, the problem was going into the Zoom / Go:Mixer directly and the levels therein. I just never tried it through the mixer until now.

Thanks everyone - this particular issue is no longer a mystery and I’m glad I got it straightened out and your know-how proved correct and useful.

4 Likes

Not going to lie, I’m a bit freaked out right now.

1 Like

To tack onto this: Yesterday, I bypassed the GO:Mixer and went straight through my audio interface yesterday with no audio issues.

What I learned:

1. Lining up audio and video in Ableton is simple, and the exported video quality is fine for my needs.
  2. GO:Mixer == GO:BackToAmazon
3 Likes

If you have two record buffers free you could try patching the main outs to a pair of inputs and recording a few bars of obviously distorted stuff while also recording the main out internally to a second buffer, save both recordings and then transfer the files over to a computer (or even look at them in the OT audio editor in a pinch) and check if one is distorted and the other isn’t. If both are distorted then you know it’s happening before the DAC and can eliminate the analog output stage as the problem. If only the one that was physically patched from the outputs to the inputs is distorted then either something is clipping post DAC or the output is so hot you’re clipping the input. If neither are distorted then it’s not happening in the OT and you’ve got something distorting downstream.

maybe add a 3. too

OT Mk1 outputs can go to 10dBu (circa 7V peak to peak) (higher even on Mk2 iirc)
it’s probably not what the little Roland mixer is potentially designed to accommodate level wise (or the op’s zoom)

having said that I fare okay piping my Elektrons into the zoom if I keep the main out level down and use the meter

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply.

My audio was going out of my RME UFX audio interface via a -10dbV output.

The peak light on the GO:Mixer was not even lighting up, yet the manual says it should flash when you are getting a hot enough signal. Since the peak light was not flashing, and my recorded audio was so low, I can only assume I was sending a low enough level. And, recording directly to Ableton sounds spot on.

2 Likes