+FX + expression slider + Y splitter cable: Control 2 destinations with 1 slider!

hiya!

recently I was browsing the feature request thread and I came up with the idea of “multiple destinations” for Control Inputs (since I had only 1 expression controller). i’m weirdly obsessed with the idea of expression controllers because they’re passive (so no power required) which results in less cables :sweat_smile: and a smaller setup footprint.

while writing that feature request, I thought maybe as a temp workaround, I can just connect the expression controller to both of the inputs with a Y split TRS cable. and it actually works!!!

in the video attached, I control Delay Send 0 to 127 and the LP frequency of Bass Focus 0 to -64 with the single expression slider.

now imagine if we could have 2 destinations per control input, we could control 4 different destinations with 2 expression controllers, how cool would it be? (like LFOs having 2 mappable destinations already)

P.S: the expression slider is “Old Blood Noise Endeavors - Expression Slider”. itt’s a very cool device except the fact that it doesn’t come with rubber feet, which I had to install myself otherwise it’s impossible to operate “one handed” :laughing:

7 Likes

Really cool insights. My mind jumps to wondering if the Old Blood Noise Endeavours Ramper then would essentially give you another LFO (but two possible assignments via splitter?)

1 Like

technically it should, i’m actually planning on getting Ramper as well, so it acts as “one button build up” thing when using the “one shot” mode, but it requires power (obviously), that stopped me (for now) :sweat_smile:

1 Like

It would give you a free running lfo, but I don’t think you would be able to clock it

But still a very cool idea to get more modulation

1 Like

I also love the passive expression sliders (Turing them sideways with feet is the octa-way to do it)

I found this little device that is able to turn any passive expression device, to send multiple midi CC’s

I think it’s up to 16 CC’s at one time, and each can be a separate midi channel

wow this is really interesting! i’ll investigate this

One other idea is to control LFO 3 depth, and then assign LFO 3 to different parameters you want per patch. With speed at zero and Ramp wave, you can use the LFO’s Phase control as an attenuator for the sweep of the slider…

3 Likes

This works for the OBNE pedal because they have both ring and tip connected. I believe that for some other expression pedals, ring is not involved, hence the need for a “floating ring” cable. Also, this is one dimension of expression, right? You can’t control two parameters independently.

Actually that’s the idea. Since it’s possible to select the destination AND the amount (minus or plus) independently per Control Input, i can increase delay send (map 0 to 127) and decrease bass focus lowfreq (map 0 to -64). So you can translate 2 different parameters towards varying degrees of positive and/or negative values. If that’s what you mean by “independently”, then it’s doable.

1 Like

amazing idea! i’ll give this a shot right away!

1 Like

You would love modular

2 Likes

I’m sorry for using a mathematical expression originally. I know not everyone thinks that way. It is one dimension, even if you travel in opposite directions on it. The setup chooses two constants c and d (the amounts), which can be positive, negative, or zero. Then a change in the slider of x changes one parameter (first destination) by cx and the other (second destination) by dx. They’re both dependent on x. Independence would introduce another variable y and change the second parameter by dy. But that would need another slider or knob (a single joystick could do it also).

gotcha. frankly i thought you were talking about smt else and i got lost since the reason i started the thread was all about controlling multiple parameters with a single expression controller. maybe “single expression controller” was a vague description since technically you can have multiple potentiometers/resistors with multiple outputs tucked into a single unit :sweat_smile:

1 Like

i love modular… from a distance. i don’t think i can surmount the financial impact tho :sweat_smile:

i think the closest i can get is to semi-modular, and not even moog! my long-ish term plan is to have a moog sound studio knockoff (behringer edge, crave and spice trilogy) which would roughly cost as much as a single Subharmonikon i guess

3 Likes

Its funny you say this… I just got back into Elektron boxes after 3-4 years of modular only and have been thinking that this is ticking all the boxes I loved in modular. After pulling the DT off the shelf for the slicing update it all started to click and I jumped on the OT. Just this week got AH+FX and I am having a blast with the FX and modulation in these two boxes. I’m sure all the hardcore Elektron heads will point out all the shortcomings and limited “patching” vs modular, but its nice to just grab a box or two and go deep. I was in the camp of mostly “all one manufacturer” in modular and this has that same vibe for me. I was not expecting to like AH+FX as much as I am. I hope people start posting interesting patches or “flows”???

1 Like

I’m in the same boat. Was in Elektron workflow, moved to modular and went from 3 modules to 2x Doepfer Monster cases, back down to a 104 7u and now out of modular and back to Elektron OT, MD, A4, AH and some other synths. It was an invaluable experience and a lot of things I shunned away from in Elektron/Synths are now points of excitement cause now it makes sense and is “easy” haha

I DEFINITELY need to hook up my expression pedal to my +FX
Specifically for delay and reverb

Makes me wonder does anyone make a device that takes in an expression pedal and you can map it to multiple parameters, that you can then send out as midi CCs?

1 Like

Having had just about every module that anyone could want, the most fun I had was making a tiny case do big things with limited resources. You can do a lot of damage with just a few modules that would/could cost less than a Moog semi. The problem is that it’s hard to know what modules to pick without having had a bunch already. Another route is DIY modules, there are many great ones. But yeah your OP just screams modular!

1 Like

Chase Bliss Audio exp.

PS: comes with rubber feet :wink:

1 Like

omg this looks beautiful! but 3x the price of obne + splitter cable :sweat_smile:

but i love the concept of an expression pedal where you can see the actual “value”.

1 Like