Funny (funny haha) OT and Ableton sync

Also make sure you don’t have a MIDI feedback loop somewhere or are sending more than one clock signal at the same time. I had a problem with that second one with a MOTU interface that would duplicate clock routed at the DAW level to any of its output ports across ALL of the ports, so if you routed clock to two ports in your DAW you would actually get two identical clock streams being sent to ALL ports at the same time. Some hardware worked perfectly, some didn’t recognize clock at all, and some had EXACTLY the symptoms described in the OP. MIDI feedback can also cause all kinds of weird behavior, when it has happened to me it was usually timing issues or parameters not responding correctly.

2 Likes

I make the midi clock master and send one of the midi port to my audio interface and other to OT.I do not use Midi Thry box. . I try all scenario Ableton master,OT master,E-RM midiclock master. Never work properly for me.

Ok i will buy the big midi clock but the point is how other elektron gear work via midi perfect. They all have sequencer. For me the problem is the OT because i test all my gear via midi and sync very well.

But then i need to mix in RME audio interface software or i need to use external mixer.

Does your Octatrack sync fine with “only other hardware”?

It may be possible to have one of your other hardware devices sync to the computer (since it’s working so well for you) and then try to sync your Octatrack to one of the other pieces of hardware.

I know that the audio sync on the Multiclock will take away your problems. The other nice thing is you can start and stop each of the individual clocks in sync. This way you can stop just one sequencer, load a new project, and start the sequencer in time again. So it’s more than just a clock source too. It’s an endless live performance tool as well.

Keep in mind you will have to spare one mono audio output for the audio clock sync on your audio interface to the Multiclock to use audio sync.

well I hear only good things about that ERM clock, so if you can afford it, get it… but I don´t think it is absolutely necessary.

I have an OT as well, and I can sync it as a slave to my DAW (Reaper), and it works - and Reaper is not know to be a super great MIDI host.

I suspect the problem may be elsewhere, as Airyck also does.

Maybe Ableton isn´t that great with MIDI clock? Can´t tell you , sorry, never used it.