[FUNC] SaveProj DN - pattern manager for Digitone

Not yet, but I plan to make it work on as many platforms as I can. In fact, I started developing it in SwiftUI (new UI framework from Apple, supposed to be uniform for all platforms), hoping it would translate easily to iOS. But I quickly reached the limits of its flexibility and had to develop the crucial part of the interface in AppKit (oldie but goodie framework from the 1990s that Steve Jobs developed in NEXT).

5 Likes

Wow, this just saved me a lot of time, and helped me get a pretty sprawling set of projects in order fast. What a gift.

1 Like

This is really cool. Is the underlying structure of the Syntakt very different from Digitone? Would it be possible to, in the future, without that much trouble creating something similar for the latter? Being able to do this on both the Syntakt and the Digitone would be awesome!

3 Likes

Yes, Syntakt should be feasible. I will take it on after Digitakt.

6 Likes

Great to hear! Looking forward to what you will release in the future!

1 Like

If this had existed several years ago, I probably would have kept my Digitone! Great work. It was really tiring combining patterns from multiple projects and keeping track of preset sounds.

1 Like

Maybe now it’s time to buy it again - before it is discontinued, like Digitakt (allegedly) :wink:

It should actually also be included in the “Tools” list here:

@William_WiLD

2 Likes

@nickl This app is pure gold, thank you for creating it! :heart_decoration:

Feature request: Any chance you also could support MacOS 12 (Monterey?) :wink:

1 Like

Glad to be helpful!

And yes, I will reduce the minimum required version to 12.0 in a future release.

As a cautious upgrader myself (I lost some data back when Catalina stopped supporting 32-bit apps, not to mention the unwanted privacy intrusions that are plaguing each new piece of software these days), I prefer to keep it classic, so to say. But my initial choice of GUI framework was SwiftUI that is still half-baked at this point, and requires 13.0 for some of its features. I just checked again and 12.0 shouldn’t be a big rewrite. But Digitakt and Syntakt come first.

5 Likes

Excellent, thank you for responding! (so fast) :sunglasses:

Would love a windows version, though I’m sure you’re getting a lot of asks right about now :wink:

Woah this is fantastic news!

1 Like

U might wanna get in contact with @mzero, he’s also working on a Digitakt pattern manager called ElkHerd.

1 Like

I know about elk-herd, and I saw mzero’s CV - he seems to be a very experienced engineer. His code would be interesting to read even just for this reason, but so far he didn’t opensource his solution, and I doubt it will be very helpful for my tool anyway, as he wrote it in Elm language. So far the most helpful resources for me were the libanalogrytm and elektroid projects on GitHub.

2 Likes

It’s in my plans: I want to make a Linux version which can be cross-compiled to Windows. It’s quite a challenge to make it work with MIDI on both platforms, but at least general UI and working with files should be feasible, and then you can download/upload the files using the Transfer app.

3 Likes

Any chance you will get MacOS compatibility to even older versions?
Not sure which version my 2015 MacBook Pro runs on (cause on holidays without it atm) but I think it’s on 10.14 or thereabouts…

Hell yes. I’m downloading RN. THANK YOU!

Edit to add: Elektron really needs to support project management better. I’d love that better than Overbridge. I always tell non-Elektron people about the benefits of the sound and my love of the hardware and sequencer when people ask. But I also tell them the challenges of managing projects, especially vis a vis Live. And I always tell them this as a gigging musician and creating setlists and organizing a show. It’s not a problem for Instagrammers and bedroom producers, but it’s just a challenge for “the rest of us.”

3 Likes

To go below 12.0 would require a significant rewrite of the app that is currently in AppStore. But hopefully the Linux version can cross-compile to MacOS as well, then the requirements should be quite basic.

1 Like

So true.
I find project management on Elektron devices and in hardware in general to be a massive pain. It seems to work well at the beginning but I always hit a wall at some point and finally give up on using a hybrid setup.