Fun little mono

Here’s the Polyend tracker next to a few of the synths. Minibrute 2S is definitely really big for what it is. Analog Four, even the MK2, is smaller.

Mother 32 is about the same size as the Taiga.

The Norand Mono is smaller than the tracker.

3 Likes

The SE-02 is a little smaller.

edit: jinx!

Smaller options exist!

1 Like

Used Behringer Neutron.

I’ll +1 Typhon

Probably the most fun synth I own or really have ever used.

3 Likes

That’s brilliant thanks!

Given the other devices I have I don’t see getting the 2S out with the MC-707 or PT to be something I’ll ever do because I’ll struggle with space whereas the Typhon or Microbrute seems much more reasonable.

I tried to use the Modal Argon 37 on the sofa and it just didn’t work so I think things of that size just won’t work for me.

1 Like

I think that’s a very valid point.

It’s one of the black marks for the Typhon relative to the Minilogue or the Microbrute. It’s far more sophisticated and has effects, but it’s also menu divey.

1 Like

Monologue gives you that space age analog vibe, classic and experimental. For what it does, it’s perfect imo. I’m curious about Typhon too, if you like the sound go for that. All the other synths mentioned are boring :blush:.

I think you should base your choice on sequencer and keyboard.

1 Like

Everyone’s needs are different, but you have mono synth sounds accessible in the stuff you have, so if I were to pick a mono to go with them I’d want as many knobs (and patch points, you may use them later) as I could find for the dedicated unit.

PWM Malevolent, Minibrute 2/2s, Bass Station II, or Erica Bassline are probably where’d I’d look first.

Yes that’s it exactly

I want to really get a feel for synthesis and live modulation by having something really hands on.

Novation Bass Station 2

Super nice sounding synth, good layout, a lot of possibilities for sound design.

4 Likes

Yeah then if you’re going for a new synth my pick would be the Taiga but if you’re buying used I’d say get the Mother 32 as they can be had pretty cheap, under their original retail price which was about $500. At $700 you might as well spend an extra $100 and get the Taiga as you get much more synth for the money.

If CV doesn’t interest you at all than I’d say Norand Mono as it’s mostly knob per function (though some of the sequencer side of things felt less intuitive).

Bass Station 2 would be a good pick but I think it’s probably too big for what you’re wanting.

2 Likes

Much as I love the Pioneer Toraiz AS-1 which has been recommended a few times, @monquixote wanted knobby and interactive- the AS-1 isn’t particularly knobby! My recommendation is the SH-01A

2 Likes

I think the Uno Synth Pro Desktop would be a great choice for this as well. Some of it is in a flat matrix-menu structure, but there are also some dedicated knobs. Sequencer is solid, filters are great, has presets, very affordable.

Korg Volca keys !

Novation Monostation is unlike anything else, with paraphonic possibilities (each oscillator with its own sequencer), function as an analogue drum machine, CV/midi sequencer with motion record and great classic sounds.

Very fun and immediate!

images (1)

7 Likes

That does look really fun!

Bad Gear Gave it a great write up.

Already mentioned above Pioneer Toraiz AS-1 is the only analogue monosynth I will never sell. Does absolutely great job for brain-melting basses, as well as for leads.

My second favourite was Roland SE-02, but I hated it’s tiny knobs.

Monologue handles the basses also quite well.

Minitaur is good, but a bit overhyped, IMHO.

2 Likes

Monotribe

1 Like

My small/inexpensive mono recommendations are:
AS-1 (best sound for the $)
DFAM (can make all kinds of sounds)
Minitaur (the low end champ)

Some leftfield ones:
Vermona Lancet
Spectral Audio Protone
PreenFM2
Waldorf Rocket/Pulse 2
Dave Smith Mopho

Some of these are more knobby than others, but all can sound amazing.

4 Likes

It can also do poly…

1 Like