Full song internal recording?

Hi !

I didn’t find the answer in the manual or forum so…

Is it possible to record an entire session (let’s say up to 30 min) directly to the CF card (obviously a card big enough to handle it) ? Or are recordings only going to ram ?

Aka: will i need an external recorder or would an Octatrack be a nice mixer/fx/full song recorder box for my MnM and A4 ?

Thx !

PeeWee

I don’t know the answer for the Octatrack (although I suspect it doesn’t record the master while everything else is going on). But the Zoom H6 has 6 channels input. It’s nice.

1 Like

There are indeed a lot of available external recorders (including Zooms) but I am aiming for a minimalist setup as my “big” studio is currently inexistent due to my moving…

But I have been honored by a reply by the Great Cuckoo himself so… Happy anyway :slight_smile:

1 Like

no

but you could record a very, very short 7 max multitracked master on the 8th track

Don’t know if you can do that while arranger is on though?

Nope, can’t do it, although I suspect it’s technically possible, so maybe in the future. For now use an external recorder or your computer.

Auto/self reply: maximum recording time is about 8 min @44.1/16, if you only use live inputs and/or static machines :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is it possible to resample a full session directly to the Compact Flash?

I´d like my master track to record some minutes of performance, all internally…

This thread is from 2014, so maybe something has changed:
Full song internal recording?

No, it is not possible as far as I know.

1 Like

Thanks, it´s a pity, having a 64GB Compact Flash.

The problem is that the recording (FLEX) memory is only 80MB.

1 Like

I understand, but it would be nice to resample to the card.

1 Like

Man, if I could sample to the CF card for longer recordings I’d be sooooooo happy.

3 Likes

I’ll add that for RAM recording OT max record time is 8m28s in 16bit and 5m39s in 24, minus the total length of samples/buffers in RAM…

Might work for shorter songs or you can get the 8 1/2 minutes if using Static machines and external sounds…

Great, then I should try with static to have more time.

I’m also interested in this feature. Being able to record the Master out for 5 minutes would be enough for me, but do you have to sacrifice some important features to get this working? I don’t know how the Octatrack work at all but plan on buying one in a distant future. :slight_smile:

To try this you’ll want to go to mem settings and turn “reserve recordings” to none and “reserve length” to 0 or off or whatever is the lowest setting, and turn “dynamic recorders” on. Your call on 24 vs 16, I’d stay on 24 but if you want max time then 16… Do a power cycle after changing mem settings as there’s a bug where samples won’t play if you don’t…

If your samples are short like one shots you might be able to use quite a few with flex still as they wont eat up too much time. Use the “purge samples” function in the project menu to get rid of any unused samples in the slots that might be eating RAM…

4 Likes

Important distinction here that I will mention in case it isn’t obvious to everyone, you record into the record buffer as described by @Open_Mike then save the file to card, then load into static slot.

1 Like

No… I was saying that by using longer samples on static tracks they won’t eat your available RAM recording time… I already mentioned above this advise is for long RAM recordings not recording to cf… Unless I misunderstood your point…

Either way that made me think you could resample flex tracks to audio files, save current buffers if your using them, and the play them on static if your really want to record longer on the OT…

1 Like

My post was just in reference to the quote and then referring to your post about setting up recording in the post prior to mine :wink:

I was trying to make clear the point that you can’t record into static slots directly as lots of people seem to be puzzled by that at first.

I probably should have said “You don’t record directly to card but into ram then save to card”

3 Likes

Right… It’s a funny post interpretation day for me it seems… :smile:
Basically even though the OP was asking about recording to CF, I just wanted to point out how far you can get with recorder buffers, as you can’t record to CF…

1 Like