From an analog studio to an Octatrack with external fx : help me get my dub Techno sound back please : - )

Hi smart people!
I used to hobby with a bunch of analog gear, rack stuff and pedals to chase dub Techno sounds.
Now I’m trying to get rid of my big setup, proceeding with an Octatrack, Blofeld, Tiny mixer and a few effect pedals.

I’m trying to figure out how to make it work for me again. I could use the Blofeld for the stabs, But I consider using it for the pads / strings and use the Octatrack for the drums and stabs instead.

Are any of you making dub techno using your Octatrack, and if so, could you share some tips on your workflow?

I’m especially curious about using samples for the stabs as opposed to actual synth stabs - in the end I think it’s the filters and effects applied that could be just as effective as putting LFO’s on the synth parameters.
(I can sample dozens of different stabs either from the Blofeld or by sampling chord stabs (using multiple tracks to create the chords) from the Octatrack as shown in some YouTube videos regarding Octa / Digitakt)

I’d love to know how other people go about the dub Techno sound using the Octatrack (optionally with minimal side gear :-))

Edit:
My question is solely about your workflow regarding (sampled? Or external?) stabs and their processing / modulation over time (using LFO’d parameters on effects?)
I’ve got the random trig stuff / noise stuff covered, and I’ll be using cue out as a send to an additional delay & reverb chain… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Scenes are good for dubbing, you can change any parameters you want for each scene and build a transition from one to the next. Selecting them directly is also another good technique by switching the currently active scene.

As for sampling you could have multiple chord stabs in the same sample and use slices to make a sample chain, that way you only need one track. You can then assign LFO to start which will modulate which slice will play, or assign different slices to scenes/steps etc… but my main point is look into scenes, at the very basic level you can assign the slider to FX sends to mimic send Knobs on a desk :slight_smile:

1 Like

As Kosmology said, a sample chain with stabs is the way to go. Couple that with a few conditional trigs and you’ve got yourself some generative harmody and melody from just one audio track. If any of your pedals are midi capable, dedicate a midi track to them and assign LFO’s to modulate parameters (use custom LFO’s for more flexibility).

One thing I would do with your setup is run the OT’s arp into the blofeld’s arp with a custom LFO modulating each so you get unique interaction between the timing of the two. Run that signal into a flex machine for sampling/live looping/FX.

Make sure you set up your Cue outs correctly. You can have them set up as 2 FX sends to your pedals, returning on audio tracks for further sampling/looping/FX.

Have fun!

I make dubby break beats and use samples andmy a4 for chords. I run them out and through a space echo pedal then through a space reverb pedal. Drums come mainly from the rytm with some percussion loops on the OT over top.

1 Like

Neighbor tracks, so you can run delays into other delays and also into reverbs, like so:

Use all those LFOs too! Assign to delay time, filter, EQ sweeps, etc. I set my scenes to control LFO depths.

7 Likes

Recent-ish relevant thread: What Advantages Are There To Cue Record?

A key dub technique, to me, is getting precise control over fedback delays. Sampling stabs off the blofeld, and then routing them around through many effects can get very deep very quickly. Interestingly, these kinds of wild feedback setups end up soaking a lot of OT resources (multiple tracks, neighbors, etc…) so resampling I think will be key. In my case I have had a lot more success resampling into DAW/computer. I find the 16 or 64 steps per pattern quite limiting when really trying to compose dub techno on the OT. Of course, variation is possible with TRC and LFOs, but it still feels a bit like a straitjacket compared to just ripping a 6min+ take of live stab variations.

Your mileage will vary.

I’m interested to hear the thoughts of @sezare56 on this topic.

3 Likes

Thanks for interest! :wink:
I really like dubby things, from reggae roots to techno and anything in between. I don’t use stabs, I prefer to modulate synth chord notes, length, decay, filter, with OT lfos / TRC.
Lfos on VEL, LEN (MIDI NOTE page), TRC on arp speed, lfo on arp NLEN, midi lfos to control synth filter, amp decay…

Exemple with one bar, Micromonsta only take. Not techno but I’d use same principles for other dub duties.

Btw I sold my Blofeld for it. No regrets. I’d buy a second one, it is just OT’s half width.

3 Likes

Love it! Great share. Thanks.

2 Likes

nailed it. imho.

going back to ableton for recording and fx and automation, with some good controllers, has been a blessing for me. i’m sure there are plenty who feel just the opposite though.