Fred Again..(the producer)

You know Harry Potter is a children’s book right?

6 Likes

He’s amazing. He makes electronic music so emotional. He has an amazing Tape Notes podcast episode where he dives deeper into his approach. It’s all about finding a piece of world that inspires him and then set the emotional tone around that. The audio bits like ‘i want you to see me Fred’ are so cool as well

2 Likes

Oh man, I’m just listening to the first “Actual Life” Album in my lunch break and Kyle (I found you) nearly brought tears to my eyes.

Big love. I actually only listened to things he produced and thought his solo stuff was instrumental hip hop or something. Not sure what I was thinking but this is totally up my alley. Guess there will be some CDs coming my way soon (yeah, I buy CDs, I’m old and uncool :D)

4 Likes

I can’t think of much else to add to all this, but I’m enjoying seeing the love for these tunes. I especially like hearing people randomly finding him and having that “ohhhhhh fuuuuuuuuckk” moment as they get overwhelmed by how emotional his work is. It’s really something. Especially when you’ve been around the block a few times and you get harder to surprise, something that breaks through that is extra impressive. Imagine being 14 and having this soundtrack your youth. I’m an old git and it completely got me so I’d be bowled over as a youngster I should imagine.

Like @enju , I can’t remember being so affected by electronic music in the same way as more mainstream rock/pop songs for ages. I think especially when it came to the pandemic, he captured that “something else” that you can’t really put in words, which is usually a once in a generation thing.

1 Like

Why do the English have a thing for wearing hoodies up while making music?

It’s cold

15 Likes

Well if that’s the case a lot of UK producers might have to wear down parkas in the studio this winter I’m afraid…

I’m having one of those increasingly rare morning where I can’t wait to get into the car so I can listen to some newly discovered music…

They go outside with only shorts and hoodies up. And flip flops.

I don’t understand how it’s related to coldness.

1 Like

Sorry for being OT, but that reminds me of this Big Shaq track :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve recently got into his music, mostly due to his infectious enthusiasm and real emotion. He comes across as really genuine guy as well. Obviously he’s incredibly talented, but he explains his approach so well.

That Tape Notes podcast people have recommended is amazing-thank you all! I’ve just listened to it and it’s really inspiring. Certainly made me rethink how I consider samples (something I’ve never really been into other than one shots), and also rethinking my iPhone!!

His attitude towards gear is amazing as well, really refreshing. Clearly he is a serious keys player, but makes what he does sound so approachable. Certainly ticks boxes for me.

The recent Hanging Out With Audiophiles podcast episode was awesome - he’s such a cool guy. Really interesting and I also love his approach to gear - rocking up with “just a laptop” - I love that.

The music though - good lord, I can’t stand it. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Fell in love with his style of music and obsessed after I watched his boiler room set.

2 Likes

New tape notes with Fred again for those that are interested:

6 Likes

this was the first time hearing about him… i really like this… as someone who struggles with hitting the “good enough” production quality, seeing someone using social media clips for their main vocals it gives me hope… really inspiring!

2 Likes

This guy is someone who everyone starting out should check out. Not watching endless YouTube vids of influencers feeding you gear you don’t need. All you need is some basic tools and a passion for what you do to get started on your journey

8 Likes

https://youtube.com/shorts/W3G27XxE3HA?feature=share

4 Likes

Just had chance to listen to the Audiophiles pod. Very interesting. Unlike Tapenotes which has that incredibly forensic behind the scenes approach, this one dives right into his history and how he thinks about music. As ever, it’s very Fred, his enthusiasm and ideas come through loud and clear.

Big takeaways from me on that one is the way he talks in this one about hardware (not sure if he did in TapeNotes), and again his famous “state of play” point of view on software or hardware which is something I really like. This actually gives me a point of view on the Circuits. Both devices can be hooked up to a computer to edit synth patches and sample effects. BUT you can also just twiddle with the knobs and see what happens as Fred describes with the OP1. It’s not as wild as that device naturally, but there’s something I will try and take away from that. I also love his idea that any plugins should be either “on or off,” by having some simple settings.

All of this backs up his point about finding any which way to stop yourself procrastinating on the minute things that doesn’t actually make a difference to the track. Instead he’s saying “should you be just changing the kick rather than spending ages EQing the one you have.”

Also the comment about having one synth and stock plugins. I’m guessing he was talking about maybe Pigments as he just mentioned the name Arturia and not the synth itself.

Looking forward to the the 2nd Tape Notes chat.

2 Likes
1 Like

…i like his concept of using phone/message snippets…
aaaand holy moly, this guy got fingerdrumming skills…

Due to this thread, I found Tape Notes Podcast. I listened to the episode featuring Fred again und the guy from Jungle. Thank you…very interesting.