Forum anonymity

Maybe anonymity is not bad thing at all, in a sense if i read something, and i do not know personal history of the writer, like age or gender, edjucation or anything like it at all, than i am left just with this one information embedded in the sentence, and maybe my understanding of what is person trying to say is clearer than it would be otherwise.
Like in a way not knowing or having the concept of that particular person is leting us actually to get closer to the content of the message.

3 Likes

Thank you - I hadn’t thought of that. Good point.

1 Like

Hey! Look at that!

I just need to reiterate this point, because there’s always some alignment of the planets that causes these bizarre notions of getting into these really serious discussions on this forum.

There is a wide assortment of varying viewpoints from the people on this forum. Some of them I’m sure wildly disagree with my view of the world, while I too disagree with them as well. On another website, arguing with them would be a dandy activity.

The community cohesion that’s commonly found on this forum comes from the agreement that we all share- that making music/sounds is fun. Our ability to orbit around this premise in our discussions is what makes this forum so much fun to peruse. Things that are brought in this forum like this and the other wildfire discussions is like tracking mud into the house.

Things like the OP, with all due respect, are wildly out of place in this forum and, I believe, should be discussed elsewhere.

1 Like

There are other practical considerations as well, IMHO. People enjoy sharing photos of their studio/workspace. Assuming one uses their real name, and includes photos and has talked about their physical location in the past or forget to scrub EXIF, they may well become a target for thieves. I don’t mention this as a hypothetical either, I’ve seen thieves target people on other forums and in some cases people have lost much of what they’ve worked for over the course of many years.

1 Like

I said already that you might be right, and if mods desire so and close it I’ll be fine with it. I have learned lot more than i hoped for, and had great read ( “the privete eye” ).

Yeah, I know we’ve communicated. But since that original comment of mine this have gotten deeper into the mud, so I wanted to recommunicate it to the other people in the thread

1 Like

I disagree with you. Why shouldn’t we discuss important things here? No-one is getting hurt, at least not in any lasting way, and maybe we all learn something important from one another.

1 Like

"Nauts"

2 Likes

Elektronauts is a niche community compared to the rest of the world, so I suppose the counter to that is: why SHOULD you discuss it in Elektronauts? How do you think “I think these are the villains of the world” and then determine “I’m going to go on an elektronic music forum to discuss it”?

There are these deep discussions/arguments EVERYWHERE on the internet- and maybe there are people, other than myself, that would like to be able to escape that and take solace in gear/art/techniches? Why can’t this be a cohesive community focused on something we all enjoy instead of a place for us to duke out our views, especially when that is, again, available everywhere else in the internet?

3 Likes

I say this with a smile, so please don’t put too much into it, but you remind me of the classic ‘why can’t we all just get along’ remark from grandmother, if the discussion touches upon anything with a little weight at a family dinner.

Why don’t you just avoid the topics you don’t like? I think it makes a lot of sense to discuss the heavier subjects here, BECAUSE it is such a nice place, with nice thoughtful people, who are able to, for the most part, keep it civil.

3 Likes

That doesn’t change the fact that this is an electronic music forum. The essence/purpose of this forum is explicitly not that.

2 Likes

This discussion is getting very off topic.
I really don’t think Elektronauts is the right place to discuss politics, religion, ethics, etc.
I don’t remind any single discussion of this type not going down btw.

@Ryan is IMHO perfectly right. This place is about music.

While the original post had an interesting point, I think 133 messages later we totally diverge.
Way I see this, once people are exchanging points of view one to one, employing the word “you” as if they were really ignoring the rest of the crowd, the discussion becomes meaningless to most of us.

4 Likes

Your house - your rules.

we spin like a stars
in this space-less space
faceless

yeah, let’s close it

:thinking:
Here go my carefully selected arguments…

I could bet no one really changed their mind with this discussion.
Maybe our point of view shifted a bit, we might have learnt a few things (go read “The Private Eye” btw. It’s even free if you want it to be).
But are we people that versed in the subject? Would we be able to explain the very interesting point of view of Montesquieu or Platon on the subject?

This is just not the right place IMO.

OP asked for it, with all due respect I believe this is the right time.

4 Likes