Forum anonymity

wow what newspapers were they? Most letter or comments used to be written by the staff simply to provide content.

1 Like

I donā€™t see it that way, anonymity is not power imho. Ultimately, Itā€™s not my opinion that people behave this way, itā€™s the result of research. I was just providing information, not opinion. People tend to act in poor fashion when they have anonymity. This is not just an online phenomenon. It happens in the real world as well.

It has nothing to do with being a noob or anything like that, and that is a really basic way to think of it. It comes down to simple human behavior. Unfortunately, this is how people are. Yes, there are outliers like yourself and many on this forum that choose to have integrity and positivity while sitting behind a screen. Unfortunately, that is not the norm.

1 Like

so the solution then is just to deny it from everyone? thats going to be sad

Iā€™d love to see how they determined that anonymity is the cause of psycho/sociopathic behavior versus the notion that psychos and sociopaths deploy anonymity to hide in the shadows.

No, and Iā€™m unsure why you are pulling things that I am not actually saying, from both my post.

I personally believe, The right to be anonymous should never be taken from anyone. Shared information should only be what one chooses to share. Privacy is a very valuable commodity.

3 Likes

Didnā€™t say that.
Where do I mention psychopathic or sociopathic behavior?

Perhaps my experience is unique but from what I Iā€™ve seen personally, it is exactly those types that are abusive.

Ok then, Iā€™d like to see their methodology for determining that anonymity is the cause for people being rude to one another.

No of couse Iā€™m not implying thats what you saidā€¦ Im just wondering what could be a better solution than to allow a degree of abusability with anonymous behaviour? People lie and decit IRL too

EDIT: As this thread was closed, I must express my disappointment with this fact. To me, these kinds of discussions are interesting, and closing of this thread means this place is not as relaxed as I hoped. I know this is a music forum, but it is not uncommon to discuss things outside of music, especially in a general area which should allow a variety of topics. This is not /r elektron, I see no reason for every topic to have to do with music making. If someone is offended by this thread not being about music, they can leave the threadā€¦ tbh I think this board could use more variety in its topics.

I quite like the comic book mentioned in this thread, but it seems a little inconsistent at timesā€¦ Maybe the ending will turn it around :wink:

Psychopath and sociopath are words we often use without understanding the full extent of what a diagnosis of that actually entails. Iā€™m not saying you donā€™t and my responses were never regarding your situation.
your experience was harrowing, I did not live it and cannot tell you whether those individual exhibited psychopathic or sociopathic behavior or just plain deviant behavior.

I only can say that research shows people who are anonymous tend to behave in negative manners.

Experimental setup, put a person in a room where they believe they are not being seen by anyone or watched. Give them an opportunity to do something wrong be it take money, a coworkers lunch, etc. people choose to do something negative the majority of the time.

Thereā€™s no need to get combative over this either. Iā€™m literally just trying to share knowledge.

1 Like

Thatā€™s fine but it doesnā€™t speak to causality. I think itā€™s easy to make the case that other vectors are at play in that scenario.

post that on /pol/

My description of the experimental design was brief and not as in depth as the experiments actually are. Experimental design is super specific, all factors but the one being tested are eliminate before the experiment can even begin. Internal an external validity is also put through a rigorous process. You can negate it from that brief description I gave but there is extensive, long term, and valid research on the subject.

1 Like

-thanks for the tip, it is a very good read, very contemporary !!

1 Like

Having the option to be anonymous is pretty important. Specially in this day and age when you could get arrested for posting something that someone might find offensive (arbitrary). The thought police has arrived. The fun part is that even the MET says nobody is breaking any laws, yet they do waste a lot of time going after people that post ā€œmeanā€ things online.

1 Like

Like ā€œIā€™m going to rape youā€ and ā€œimmigrants should dieā€? Hate speech laws are fine and necessary. Sure there are a few fringe cases where someone is wrongly brought to court, but harassment and incitement to violence online need to be prosecuted. You canā€™t expect to spout whatever vitriol you want and not face consequences, especially under your real name (fb, twitter)

3 Likes

Yeah, there were same rapings in Germany done by ā€œimmigrantsā€. Press never use names wenn they should, but instead we give anonimity to the criminals in what seams to me like efort to achive some political goals.
And than you have some guy commenting in his anger against rapist ā€œimmigrants should all dieā€. And than we have a problem. It is touchy subject too, better to live it out of this forum.

The press donā€™t use names until the accused has been convicted and tried in order to avoid witch hunts. Or at least thatā€™s the way it should work.

Next time a white guy gets away with rape try commenting ā€œkill all white peopleā€ and see how it goes down.

1 Like

Those are threats and should be investigated. The majority of the 3000 arrests however do not fall in that category. Maybe read the articles and Police reports before jumping to a conclusion? Have you read the reports? Or did you just assume most of those 3000 arrests are people threatening to rape someone?

You seem to assume my political views? What do those matter anyways in this context? Itā€™s a fact over 3000 people got arrested for posting mean things online, the majority of them are not threats. You wouldā€™ve known if you looked into it instead of assuming.

Besides a thing like ā€œhate speechā€ is very arbitrary. What you think is hate speech someone else might find perfectly acceptable. I find it very offensive that certain groups of religious people want to kill homosexuals but do I want them to be silenced or arrested? Nope. I want them to be able to spout their hatred for everybody to see.

Either way, the option of being able to post anonymously is very important if we wanna have freedom of expression, ideas and thought.

3 Likes

Well, then the press should not say this were the immigrants ither ?

I tried but the link on theregister is dead. Got another source?

I edited my post, it was mainly aimed at someone else but better to let it go