Forum anonymity

Yes, if there is a person to take that responsibility.

You are taking it to far now. Being nasty on line is not illegal, or forming public opinion about some political candidate or a product.

It certainly can be. Being nasty though is not in the interest of the individual, ultimately it makes a person very bitter and never leads to anything good. Aside from that it ensures that most people will just think it cowardly and rather pointless.

1 Like

You canā€™t very well have a victim of an attack without an attacker.

I was just stating that in most cases anonymity (online) is not as anonymous as a lot of people think, talking more about the general population at large, rather than for example people who know what they are doing.

2 Likes

Totally agree on that.

Here is the reason to not stifle dissent. All it takes is 5% to stand up with a dissenting opinion and the herd mentality breaks down and can turn against those trying to steer it toward harm or evil. One should be very concerned about a system that is taking steps to eliminate dissenting opinions and dissenters.

4 Likes

Jordan Petersen says hate speech should not be criminalized or censored. Some people think it will lead to state control.

2 Likes

Jordan Peterson also got sick for a month after drinking a glass of cider. You can safely disregard anything he says.

4 Likes

He only touches Beef now.

1 Like

Oh yeah. Iā€™m sure that has nothing to do with the diet ebooks his daughter is selling. Grifting clearly runs in the family.

Joe Rogans a big fan :smile:

That would be the logical progression, Iā€™m afraid. I am not comfortable with a central arbiter that decides what is decent or ā€œhateā€. What is this, the middle ages? The community decides, not some central authority with zero accountability to community.

We are free to hate things, ideas or people.

5 Likes

True. Who sits on the panel to decide what is hate anyway? Do you trust them?

2 Likes

And how does one address the constantly shifting perception of what is distasteful? These ideas are alive and perception evolves over time.

So called hate speech is now a crime in some countries. What is to prevent someone from combing through public comments from a decade ago to find something that can be spun as ā€œhateā€ that can be used to ruin someone of note?

I prefer to think that we can look back on that and say to ourselves, ā€œmy, how the times have changedā€ instead of ā€œwe need to ruin this woman because of her commentsā€.

3 Likes

The BBC are doing a good job.

1 Like

Regardless of how easy it might be to find out anon identity, thats the only way I personally want to participate in online discussions. If Iā€™d have to use my real name, Iā€™d not post anything at all. I dont want to become a databank for corporations to profile, for people who do not even know me to ā€œdissectā€ and so on.

I know Iā€™m naive and out of touch from the world of today when I say this, but I think privacy is a universal human right and using our data without our consent or understanding of what this data is and how it used, is DIGITAL SLAVERY. I can only hope future generations will look at current times similarly as we now look at the times when america had slaves, and colonialsm turned blood and tears into gold, stuffed into their pockets. So hoping a backlash will eventually occur. Hey, we havent even hit 2020 yet, so who knows what kind of cyberpunk hactivism lies ahead and how it all will all unfold. Just hoping we will not end up as flesh-slaves to the system, all our thoughts forever known to the big brotherā€¦

The idea of anonymity is very important

6 Likes

It takes some will to stick constantly to your values when youā€™re given a bit of power.
I see it on Elektronauts as a mod, and at home with my kids.

I donā€™t feel like hiding behind a fake identity here, btw. I AM Lying Dalai, thatā€™s me as an electronic musician, the identity I have CHOSEN for me on the internet. And I behave exactly as in real life, so that I can meet people IRL and have absolutely no shame of who I am.

A very good comic book about anonymity is ā€œThe Private Eyeā€ by Brian K. Vaughan.

4 Likes

Oftentimes it is whistle blowers that keep governments and large organizations accountable for their egregious behavior. Oftentimes they employ anonymity because they have a very real reason to fear for their safety. Naturally, many of those in positions of power have an interest in shutting down anonymity. The state is calling for this and it isnā€™t in the interest of the masses.

1 Like

But your talking about Anarchy. Without any control thats what you get.