Formant Filter for Octatrack

Thanks ! Don’t you lower the volume VOL ?
Yesterday I made tests with wrong frequencies on a white noise sample, with a lot of harmonic material :wink:

sorry yes…edited for clarity… I’ve been sick on the couch all week, at least that’s my excuse…

1 Like

Windows Xp wallpaper is your remedy ? :sunny:

1 Like

it’s one of those classic timeless images, like that one of the big pink sunset, cheesy & comforting & nostalgic all at the same time, so if this doesn’t cure me then i’m afraid nothing will

2 Likes

Hi. I hope you feel better.
I had very interesting results with your informations, thanks. I found that Q could be lower. I prefered to have 4 different eqs per tracks, then copy track for neighbor.
One track is almost enough.
A saw wave seems better.

I made scenes, and modulated them with random lfos with midi tracks (CC55-56), and used a random speed modulated tri lfo for the CC48 crossfader.

As filters have 2 Q res + Env, I think it’s possible to have better results with them. In order to save tracks, maybe you can use only 2 frequencies.

Edit. It works pretty well with 1 regular filter and above frequencies !

5 Likes

Very clever with the filter, bravo! I’ll give that a try myself!

1 Like

It is still better with 4 frequencies.
With filters only you need 2 tracks if you want 4 fqs, with 2 Thru or 2 tracks playing the same sample :
T1 > F1 F2 (+ FX2)
T2 > F3 F4 (+ FX2)

I found interesting to use filter AND eq, in order to use only one track, and be free to chain 2 FX with a Neighbor track :
Filter > F1 F4
EQ > F2 F3
If you place filter after eq, it seems to sound the same.

It sounds different with the filter, especially because of the bandpass. 24db settings accentuate the bandpass.

2 Likes

Hey - any chance of showing even more in terms of Filter settings, etc?

1 Like

I’ll try tonight. Remind me, if not, I’d be interested in testing this again…

3 Likes

Would really appreciate it, man :blush:. I’m starting to explore the OTs a bit more, cherry picking some of your crazy initiatives :laughing:

1 Like

You can thank @sleepystevo!
I can’t remember if I wrote frequency values somewhere. IIRC someine made a sheet with OT filter values and corresponding freqs…

Eq values

1 Like

Fantastic - very much appreciated!

I used A and I vowels

F1 is Filter Base
F2 is EQ1
F3 is EQ2
F4 is Filter width
(F1+width=F4, width=F4-F1)

9 Likes

Just pure gold, man!!!

1 Like

Let me know if something is unclear. Maybe I’ll redo or edit the video…

Luckily filter and eq frequencies seem to correspond.
IIRC I used different formant frequencies for my first test a while back…

2 Likes
1 Like

@darenager, that’s not very nice of you. Now I have to try to reproduce this A, E, AEIOU part. :crazy_face:

Maybe it’s better to make F3 and F4 with EQ, because they are lower. In that case it’s probably better to set WIDTH to - 12db.

Anybody knows what is BW?

1 Like

bandwidth?

2 Likes

Yeah bandwidth.

1 Like

I knew you’d do it! But it has got to be worth :100: :elot: points :cool:

4 Likes