FMR RNC or RNLA on master

1/4" TRS to dual 1/4" TS cable

1 Like

another option, one that I am using now, is the “Woodpressor AU” on iOS

It has HP/BP/LP side chain filter. I host it in AUM and it’s turned my iPhone XS into my live rig master compressor, along with a simple 2 in 2 out audio interface. Yea it adds some latency to go with a software solution, but I didn’t want to bring my laptop on stage just for stereo processing, and this solution only adds about 8ms round trip.

4 Likes

Curious, what interface you’re using :slight_smile:

Oh ok…I thought it was Harrison that make the large mixing consoles. Just looked at the stuff on their site and realised :-1:

1 Like

Could you perhaps try and open it (likely by unscrewing the cover)? I m curious for the circuit. chances are it d be real easy to DIY.

Not sure the high pass is actually useful for me though. I ve got a loaner RNC from @lesstalkmoredisco here (tanx!). I m liking what i m hearing with the RNC subtly on the main bus when mixing live. Keeps peak levels in check when i m going overboard in the heat of the moment. Increases overall loudness just a tad.

Thinking of the high pass in the loop making it not react to my low end, and that s an area where i tend to go overboard, so perhaps the high pass would work against what i need from the RNC.

Any insights here from people that use it in live gigs?

I ve got these settings now:

Threshold -4 (dry signal peaks at 0db)
Ratio 4:1
Attack halfway between 0.6 and 2ms
Release 0.2s
Gain +4db
No super nice mode

GR peaks at about 4-6db

1 Like

It could work for or against depending on the sound you’re trying to achieve, but the high pass sidechain would help the comp react less to the low end and would make it clamp down on your mid and treble frequencies less. Without the sidechain your mid and high range will get quieter as the bass triggers the compression.

1 Like

Sorry, have no glue how to open it nondestructive.
Turning/ screwing is not the way forward because the casing is a single part.

1 Like

Yeah I guess this is something that really needs testing to know. Gonna put my audio interface in the loop and try some filtering with ableton.

I tested with a MOTU Ultralite mk3 in the sidechain loop, using its DSP processor to low-cut at 100hz (12db slope). Getting quite good results. Can imagine that thumping real nice on a big PA, so I’ve gotta get on the side of all the ones who’ve advocated a high-pass filter/eq in the loop.

Now lets see if I could DIY a simple filter circuit… Doesn’t even have to sound particularly good in that sidechain loop. It’s just about the amplitudes.

1 Like

I like my Mk3 just for that matter.
Limiter and compressor are also working wonders for me.
And I am pretty delighted using the RNC on my master insert. Have not yet investigated the hp filter on the side chain aspect though.

Yeah while testing this I was thinking why not simply use the Ultralite as compressor (stand-alone)? But I like the idea (probably vanity) that all of my signal path is analog except for the 2 Eventide send fx’s, and the visual feedback on the RNC is quite useful to me. I’m using a Xone:96 cue output as an FX send and because of that I can’t see the level metering of my master bus anymore. It’s alwaus showing the cue’d channel(s). The GR metering on the RNC then gives me a visual of how hard I’m slamming it. Ultralite doesn’t have that when used stand-alone.

1 Like

Nice demo of RNC and RNLA here:

Acoustic sound material but lots of drumming, with live knob tweaking. Also tips on the RNC super nice mode which is indeed a weird beast to grasp.

4 Likes

@dtr
RNC can be very gnarly indeed :slight_smile:
I wish I could put my hands on a RNLA now…
Are you using both by any chance?
Have been using the RNC mainly on my master insert and mixing “into it” but recently use it a lot on a drum bus, summing my TR-8 and DT (to mono then through RNC). It has proven very nasty and surprisingly not “colouring” the sound that much.
Can’t get over the prices of these little boxes :slight_smile:

No RNLA here… I have many possibilities for coloring distortion on my instruments/fx and use them a lot. Don t need more from a compressor. Still would like to give the RNLA a spin if I had a chance.

I checked some youtube vids from producers playing live techno tracks into RNLA. I gave up after the 4th muddy mess. I don’t think these vids do it justice.

1 Like

I’ll definitely get an FMR after this video.
Awesome what the RNLA can do on the drum buss, also pretty flexible in terms of altering the groove and feel of a drum pattern. Log release sounds great!

I might need both, tho.

1 Like

Has it been mentioned that there is a video of Steve Albini doing a studio tour in which he heaps praise on the FMRs saying it would cost thousands more to do a better job? And he is not someone who hands out praise lightly.

2 Likes

I m trying to keep that thought out of my mind. Meditation is a good anti-gas measure.

2 Likes

Ugh. RNC is out of stock anywhere around here. Ordered a RNLA instead.

@lesstalkmoredisco hope you ll let me use your RNC a little longer to test 'm side by side!

2 Likes

I actually tried to avoid any comparison vids, worked out well so far, but hey, the RNLA really does a good job on those drums!