FM+ (Let's talk about it)

Since I’m still waiting for my MM to be in stock, I really wouldn’t mind some more fun examples of MM FM synthesis that I might have somehow missed.

argh. that sucks you missed it. I’ll try to put up some examples tonight if you are still interested, I am still getting my head around the way the fm machines work though, so they may not be that great ^^;

Have a thing. Hope it doesn’t feel like i’m making the wait worse. It’s certainly nothing on that track above.

2 Likes

ooft, those marimbas are great!

Listen to some Sophie & Autechre.

makes me wonder if Ae used MM on LP5…

Can you explain the settings of FM+ machine to achieve the marimba?

Unless Autechre made a time machine in Max/MSP, I doubt it :joy:

LP5 was mostly Nord Lead, and it’s really obvious when you play with a Nord on its own!

2 Likes

Hmm, I’ll have to blow the dust off my monomachine this weekend and see if I can get that for you.

1 Like

Oh thank you Psedolux! Much appreciated!!

1 Like

Actually I think I documented it in this thread:

It’s two layers, but I think in the example I posted in this thread it’s just one of the layers. Give it a try and see if it sounds right! I’m away from my monomachine at the moment so can’t test it for myself.

2 Likes

Great I’ll give it a deep reading… waiting for your help this weekend. Thanks again!

1 Like

I’m wondering, because I’m trying to understand the FM+. I understand FM synthesis, where there is a carrier and modulators…So, my quick question that could help me conceptualize how these machines are working. In the diagram, it shows a carrier at the bottom, and then the modulator, env, freq, tune ect above… So is that carrier actually a fixed frequency (like a hidden sin wave in the background)? Thanx for your reply.

1 Like

Not quite.

Think of the carrier as an oscillator whose pitch is controlled by the sequencer.

Think of the modulators as fast LFOs that are routed to the pitch of the carrier.

If the output amplitude (“volume”) of the modulators were zero (for example, when using an FM+STAT machine and setting 1ENV and 2VOL to zero), you would hear the carrier on its own, tending towards a sine wave as the value of TONE is lowered.

3 Likes

Ah, perfect @PeterHanes. I knew you would know this one. Thank you. So, if the frequency of the carrier changes with where I hit on the keyboard, do the modulators also follow in a tuned freq? I think I remember not…So, this may be an important part of programing. Maybe I need to adjust as I go up in octave?

oops:

So they are. Thank you Peter.

Usually, but you can also use modulators with fixed frequencies. This is one of the sound design tools to create more complex sounds such as modeling resonant structures.

2 Likes

I’ll have to google that one. I kinda just wanna use the FM machines like a futurist cowbell. I have no idea why. But, if I understand the structure more, maybe I’ll get more cowbell. :wink:

1 Like

Indeed. What FM synth are you using?

Well, now that I am finally getting an understanding of them, I suppose I would have to choose one. I think lastnight I was using the FM+Static. It seemed to be the most predictable. Right now I’m getting pretty good future cowbell out of the Swave:Ens. I find this one of my favorite machines so far. But, I really want to get the same on the FM+, cuz I know it’ll sound right with FM. Which would you suggest?

I like the digitone, but it’s mostly all the same since math is math and FM is very much math. :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheaper would be a volca FM and more expensive would be Essence FM. Notable mentions are the MEGAfm and OpSix.