FM+ (Let's talk about it)

I’ve owned the MM in the distant past, but never delved into the FM+ like I should have. Now, it’s the most appealing thing about the box to me.

Please share your opinions/insight and demos of what is possible. If you own both the MM and A4, compare the FM between the two. I’m extremely interested.

1 Like

Posting just to subscribe. Hey, it’s on sale… :wink:

The FM machines are the biggest reason why I love the Monomachine. Being essentially 2 and 3 OP I don’t find them such a go-to for pads or anything (sorry, Eno fans), but for percussion, bass, and all sorts of other sounds I think it’s the tits.

1 Like

Let’s hear some examples. It’s hard to find any good ones.

IT’s hard to make some without spacing out and morphing the sound over and over.

1 Like

There are so many shared by forum members here I don’t even know where to begin. Seriously, YouTube and a tiny bit of effort.

I subscribe to cuckoomusic, Elektron, Nicholas Lem, ipassenger, MrDataline, Adam Jay, CatabolicDJ, ruinwesen, etc.[/quote]
I’ve watched all the YouTube examples, thanks for your awesome advise. I’m looking for better examples that showcase the FM+ synthesis isolated; like some clean examples of bass and leads freaking out with parameter locks. If you don’t have any, you could ignore this thread instead of stating the obvious like a condescending ass.

1 Like

There are so many shared by forum members here I don’t even know where to begin. Seriously, YouTube and a tiny bit of effort.

I subscribe to cuckoomusic, Elektron, Nicholas Lem, ipassenger, MrDataline, Adam Jay, CatabolicDJ, ruinwesen, etc.[/quote]
I’ve watched all the YouTube examples, thanks for your awesome advise. I’m looking for better examples that showcase the FM+ synthesis isolated; like some clean examples of bass and leads freaking out with parameter locks. If you don’t have any, you could ignore this thread instead of stating the obvious like a condescending ass.[/quote]
Oh you poor baby. Listen to yourself. No, I’m not going to personally go through and curate what others have generously shared in the hope that maybe, just maybe, you might find certain individual highlights ‘better’ or more ‘awesome’ in your own opinion. Fuck that. I told you where to fish, and who to check out. You’re welcome.[/quote]
Why are you ruining my thread? You are adding nothing, but insult. What are you trying to accomplish? What is your purpose?

1 Like

You started it. :kiss:

Hmm thread got off to a good start… can we redeem it?

Anyway despite owning my MnM for over a year, I only recently downloaded the free Lem sound pack and after playing with it a little I’ll just say I want to dig deeper into the FM machines now, particularly the dynamic FM and particularly for kicks. Some very clever stuff going on in there.

FM+ is one thing on the MnM that I’ve never got. So if anyone has some tips on what to try then I’m all ears too.

I’m also aware that one person’s bleeps are another’s farts, but hey, they might just smell nice.

Jeez…

ok Prints, my suggestions: have you downloaded Booster Pack from Nicholas Lem? (it is free on Elektron website).

There you’ll find all the tweaks you’re asking for a FM+ machine

Can each of the six voices have its own synth engine? For example, Voice 1 is FM+, Voice 2 is Superwave, etc.

Can I plug in a MIDI keyboard and manually play chords with one note being FM+, 2nd note being the voice modeler, etc.?

Yes. In its simplest form the MM is a 6-part multi-timbral monosynth.

The MM will not distribute individual notes to individual tracks to allow this. You would need some MIDI processor between the keyboard and the MM to send different notes to different MIDI channels to distribute the notes appropriately.

yeah amazing machines once you dig. created a patch that sends CC data to all the parameters at once, spat this beaut out. in polymode of course, thats when you enter the maddest sound zone.

https://soundcloud.com/mossman/warmthfm/s-GL0Hu

Yes. In its simplest form the MM is a 6-part multi-timbral monosynth.

The MM will not distribute individual notes to individual tracks to allow this. You would need some MIDI processor between the keyboard and the MM to send different notes to different MIDI channels to distribute the notes appropriately.
[/quote]
Thanks!
Glad to hear it can be a 6-part multi-timbral monosynth.
A bit of a bummer about the MIDI chord issue, but I’ll look at options for MIDI controllers that can sent on 6 MIDI channels. I know my MIDI guitar rig can but I don’t really use it much for that purpose.

ahhh, this is making me want to bust out my MnM again… I haven’t gone deep with the FM machines yet, but I did make a really kickass (imo :smiley: ) marimba patch that comes in later on in this track:

2 Likes

:+1:

Well, I solved my dilemma by getting both the A4 and the Monomachine. Btw this example helped push me over the edge to order the Monomachine earlier today for anyone that might be interested. Thanks for all the help, and non-help.

3 Likes

Yes, really cool one :+1:

Any chance you could try replicating Fm sounds on both machines and show the differences Prints? I would give it a go but unfortunately my friends MnM took a coffee bath the other day :frowning:

It actually made me shed tears (not the manliest man, i know).