FLEX & STATIC choosing question?

Good to hear that :slight_smile: Thanks for your answers.
I very like this design that gives OT the possibility to have so much sampling memory that a computer can have.

Ok. You can not normalize or reverse slices on static machines, too. Some more limitations to keep in mind. But hey, these still are not features used by each and every sample :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well no, like I say above, you donā€™t have full editing access to a static sample like you do a flex sample. This is quite a big difference beyond playback mode,

@OHEXOH Sure, as I wrote above the slice reverse and slice normalization are neither available for static machine. Is there any other feature which are not available for static machine? I donā€™t find the mentioned limitations (including start point modulation) should make people always go for flex :slight_smile:

I donā€™t think you can do most of the sample editing features (fade, crop, change vol etc.) I donā€™t fully understand why, but itā€™s a real pain.

One of the quirks within the beautiful machine :kissing_closed_eyes:

The only thing I wish I could do on the STATIC machines that is not currently possible is normalize them.

I think that it is a mis/using issue. While OT provides some simple tools for editing samples in RAM (including trim, normalize, slice reverse etc.), those are present primarily for the sounds sampled directly into OT, and those samples are limited by the size of available RAM by default. Samples transferred from computer can be edited before using much more powerful tools however.
But if you want to edit a sample in OT and thereā€™s RAM available, you can load it from CF card to RAM to edit it on OT then just save it back and use with static machine.

When playing back samples the only real different between flex and static machine is that the start point modulation is not safe, though p-locked start point changes still work well with static. So thatā€™s why I say static machine is perfect for playing back/mangling samples in the most cases.

5 Likes

Manual snips:
ā€œThe track LFOs can not modulate the STRT parameter of a Static machine. The crossfader can, but if the modulation is too fast the Static machine will not be able to update the start point position correctly, resulting in the sample not being played. Once the Static machine catches up the sample will be played back from the correct start position. Parameter locking the STRT parameter will however make the sample play back exactly according to the locked position.ā€

ā€œEDIT
Access by pressing [LFO] while in the audio editor. Here various sample editing commands can be performed. For Static samples, considerably less menu options are availableā€

Rudolphrapid brings up a very good point where you can load your sample into flex, edit as much as you want, and then save and load back to staticā€¦

5 Likes

Do I have this correct? the static machines are for longer samples and are played from the SD card, but is there another difference?

The reason I ask is to build as large a sample pool I can for each project. This would allow more songs per project for me:) as there would be more to pull from.

More or less. Read this: FLEX & STATIC choosing question?

3 Likes

Thank you!

Also Iā€™ve been trying to set up the OT to act like the Rytm/A4 in direct mode so thst patterns change as soon as I change them (and not the end of their pattern length).

Is there a global setting somewhere that will have all tracks switch at the moment when I switch the bank/part?

This would be super duper for the way Iā€™d like to perform - dropping things in time.

Thanks in advance.

Reading this makes me want go mostly use static for backing loops and the flex for one shots.

Thank you Rusty.

Iā€™m just a messenger.

4 Likes

Hey again, is there an easy way to have the OT act like the Rytm in Direct Mode - in terms of changing sounds?

Project -> Sequencer -> Chain After

1 Like

Also something to mention about Flex machines ā€¦ to do any form of editing in the Audio Editor Edit screen, only if a sample is on a Flex machine slot may it be edited.

Audio Editor Edit doesnā€™t work with Static machine slots.

2 Likes

P17, MKI manual

A single Static sample can be as big as 2 gigabytes.

A post was split to a new topic: Samples go out of time when changing rate

Pretty old thread and I hope Iā€™m not beating a dead horse here. :thinking: But I was wondering the somewhat inconsistent wording in the manual. As it has been pointed out, the manual explicitly says that ā€œThe track LFOs can not modulate the STRT parameter of a Static machineā€. I have a Mk2 and I checked that the same paragraph can be found in the Mk2 manual. However, after playing around with Marcos Carvalhoā€™s generative ambient technique, I just canā€™t get this out of my head.

Applying Carvalhoā€™s method, I used Ableton Live to create and export a certain scale I chose, from A to A, thatā€™s 9 notes, with plenty of space between the notes to let a long release completely disappear. Then I copied the sample to the OT, assigned it to a static slot and sliced it into 9 slices in AED. Then I placed several triggers here and there and added conditional locks with probabilities of 9-25%. And finally I set SLIC to ON and assigned a random wave LFO to the STRT parameter. It works without a hitch (although you have to carefully adjust the LFO depth in order to get all the slices to play) AND I could do this on five tracks using static machines and five different samples. Absolutely no problems whatsoever.

So, itā€™s understandable that with very long samples the card reader would start lagging, causing playback glitches and whatnot. But with sliced samples, reasonable in length, it does seem to work.

What puzzles me is the manualā€™s choice of words. Is it just a precaution because itā€™s highly probable that you could face some issues - but youā€™re still free to do it if youā€™re brave enough?

2 Likes

Yes.

3 Likes