First Synth and performance setup

I’m a songwriter guitarist, my Korg Electric Piano broke and I decided to look at what was out there… Wow, I love Moog / Elektron stuff. I want to be Dawless, I find it uninspiring. I was thinking a Moog Grandmother and a Digitakt. The Digitakt does seem a little intimidating. I like Depeche Mode, NIN, Beastie Boys, Prince, Rush, etc…

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

I think you need to think about what you actually want from a set-up, then look at what gear actually provides those features.

For example:

Do you want a step sequencer or a linear sequencer?

Do you want a monophonic or polyphonic synth?

3 Likes

I agree with PeterHanes. Think about what you want out of a set-up.

What workflow you would like.
How you prefer to do things.
What sound you are going for.
What is your budget?

At the same time I think the Digitakt & Grandmother would be good choices. Digitakt isn’t too complex & Grandmother doesn’t have any menu diving. I think you could do a lot with the 2 & would be good for someone without a lot of hardware experience. & if you really like being DAWless, but want more, you can easily add to your set up (like a digital synth, poly analog, effect boxes, ect.). I think the Grandmother sounds great, I want one too.

1 Like

the path from Korg Electric Piano directly to Grandmother/Digitakt is interesting but leaves open many questions. you should probably better determine what exactly you’re looking to do. and if you’re not sure, just buy what you can afford and seems interesting to you. but buy it used so you can re-sell it without taking a loss.

Digitakt & Grandmother is a good choice ! I don´t own them, but i can imagine that this combo is a good way to start and learn about electronic music.
download the manual and read it a bit to make sure what the digitakt can do and what not.

should be obvious that the moog isn´t a piano and the DT isn´t a DAW.
for “classic” songwriting they are not the best thing.

anyway, if you are new to this, those two should be fun for a long time.

1 Like

Moog Matriarch is coming soon. You can have it in mono, 2 parafonic or 4 parafonic mode. Sounds so amazing. I am going to get one when it’s released.

But as people are writing, it’s super important to think through what you want out of your setup.
When I am interested in buying a synth I invest a lot of time to investigate what’s the best buy for my needs.