First Post / Introduction from electronic drummer in J-pan

Hi everyone! I’m aizo yurei. Live in Osaka, Japan, from the US. Been here 10 years and lovin’ it. Have always made electronic music and have been in several standard rock bands (standard as in guitars and drums) but have never performed any of my own electronic music. It’s been a goal of mine to get my solo stuff going. I’m trying to figure out the best way to do it as I’m traditionally a drummer but I don’t want to play my music using controllers. I WANNA USE DRUMS! So I’ve been putting together my rig. My main music project is called “Suicide Animals”. It’s kind of sad/angry/noiz/experimental/industrial cluster fuck. I’m not sure if there are many groups of people that would even want to watch the music I make live. Maybe people who are fans of Author & Punisher or other experimental stuff like that perhaps. Either way, I’m gonna do it anyway!

I don’t have any Elektron products YET! But I’ve had my eyes on the Digis. Honestly I want both Digis, the Heat, the Octatrack, AND the AR but having kids and a responsible wife has put the brakes on that. For now, I’m just gonna get the Digitakt as it’s the piece of gear that’ll get the most use in the main set up.

Speaking of setups… Here’s a run down of the gear I’m using. There are actually two setups. The one used to make all the tunes and the one that’ll be used to perform it. (But one is contained in the other)
・ Desktop PC using Ableton Live 9 (I wanna upgrade to 10! T _ T)

• Komplete 11
  • Serum
  • Sylenth1
  • Addictive Drums
  • Superior Drummer
    ・Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
    ・Roland JP 8000
    ・Roland SPD-SX
    ・Roland TD-11
    ・Nord Drum
    ・Nord Drum 3P
    ・Novation Circuit (selling to fund my digitakt)
    ・Korg Volca FM

Originally I was just daisy chaining the TD-11 via midi to the SPD-SX (via USB) into Ableton. I had one pad programmed to switch scenes and other pads were mapped to drum racks or a VST. But since I fried my laptop, I had to rethink my setup. I still want to go back to using Ableton as it’s endless to what you can do but having limiting stuff like the Circuit has really inspired me. Not to mention dropping something like three grand on another laptop is a real hard sell to the wife. So now, I’m breaking up the parts of the songs and putting them on the pads to the SPD-SX and using the Nord Drum 3P and TD-11 to provide drum sounds. The TD-11 has some tweakable sounds but ultimately, I’m not happy with it. However it is not without use. as it gives me access to 11 inputs. (Hence 11, I guess) That’s where the Digitakt comes in. I’d like to layer the TD-11’s sounds with sounds from the Digitakt. It’ll get more use than just that but we’ll get into that later.

Picture time!

Anyway, I look forward to checking out the forum and talking about some Elektron gear!

7 Likes

Great intro ! Welcome :rocket:

2 Likes

Seems like octatrack with midi foot pedal is your best option, it has more inputs as digitak and is better sampler over all, this will fit your gap between two setups(as you said one to record and one to perform) This way you can also loop hands free the drums that you are playing and could also play octatrack with your midi drums. Downside is that setting up foot pedal to loop can be difficult and for some octatrack has difficult workflow. Never expect octatrack to be like ableton+laptop and you will be very happy.

3 Likes

Welcome on board mate!

hi buddy

Welcome. I’m also from the US and based in Japan (Tokyo). I’ve been here more than 19 years now. Time flies when you’re having fun.

I have a Digitakt. I think it’s an interesting sampler and I like the streamlined workflow.

Hi aizo! Great looking setup. I’m a drummer as well, having integrated OT, AH, and AR into my rig.
This is a great forum with lots of knowledgeable folks who also make great music and softwares.

Welcome!

Thanks everybody! I finally got a Digitakt last Friday. I haven’t connected it to my live kit yet. But I have sampled the crap out of my first gen Nord Drum. I was so worried that after I upgraded to the Nord Drum 3P that my other ND would start collecting dust. And it did for a while. But since I got the Digitakt, it’s been fun as heel trying to get as many sounds from it as possible and then mangling the mess out of 'em!

1 Like