First Look at the Analog Four MK2 + sound demos

I wonder how long of a timeline we’re talking before the Overbridge comes down the line.

1 Like

Would be, yeah.
Haha, I think what I was trying to ask was, is the CV track a modulation destination for the cv inputs? as in, can you use the CV outs through the CV ins to control themselves to create a feedback loop? There may be some interesting self-playing patches possible if so.

Wow, you just created a feedback loop in my brain…
CV outs → CV ins controlling CV track…

Unsure what to do with this.
I think you may create a black hole, be cautious…

2 Likes

I’d like to know how the cv ins are accessed. Is it in the menus like in the Heat?

Something I’m gonna keep asking about is these new “hi-res encoders”. When they were first announced, I was absolutely under the impression that we would be getting Digitakt-style parameter resolution. (IE. the delay time knob on the 'takt – you can get some AWESOME karplus-strong combs going on it that make my rytm super sad.)

If anyone can confirm this to be the case, I will be selling immediately.

1 Like

It’s a menu like the one for setting up Perf macros.
@cuckoomusic excellent A/B comparison with mk1 shows this in details.

3 Likes

To update, page 24 of the manual says,

Parameters can be selected from all
six tracks.

So it should be possible!

I wonder if a v/oct output could control the speed (pitch) of an lfo on the cv channel to make a linear value cv work as a playable oscillator… ?
If it works, that output could be patched into the ext inputs, and used as an oscillator on one of the synth tracks. Set its v/oct output to receive note data from that track.
Sine wave FM would finally be an option, and some multi-layer fm stuff might work too.
CV LFO2 ->CV LFO1 -> Trk LFO2 -> Trk LFO1 -> OSC freq

I guess this will all hinge on how well the CV inputs’ A-to-Ds respond to audio-rate modulation.

If I had a unit, I would test it.
Anyone care to try?

I knew they would sound different but I didnt think it would be that big of a difference… but yeh it sounds great - I was planning on getting one at some point but now I may have to move that up a bit…

1 Like

there are three screw holes on the bottom, along the sides of the unit.

Thanks man!!

So I am by no means an expert on CV (more a enthusiastic novice…)… The CV Inputs have pretty much the same routing options as the any macro. Set track 1-4, FX, CV, then the parameters for the CV track are (from what I can tell looking briefly at it) the same as on a macro. I have not tried to connect the CV out into the input. Do I dare?! :smiley:

1 Like

I believe CV voltage is way bigger than Line in, you’d have to check this beforehand.

the new filter + overdrive almost reminds me of the Dreadbox stuff a bit

1 Like

exactly. The new menu is basically a performance macro menu, but with a meter that shows you the incoming signal strength

1 Like

I think that is a good way to describe it. It does sound really good. I havn’t used the A4 much but I got an AK and even tho it might be placebo I think the A4 Mk2 sounds best!

You’re right ! Plus you must “learn” the in CV source (min and max voltage, obviously) before setting the macro.

Might work, but still a good idea to check what kind of voltage regular (= not CV) Inputs can take.

I am not exactly sure what you mean VVilms. To me the feel of the knobs is a little different, but that might be because the units/UI/use case is different. But I can’t say for sure how close they are in feel and resolution. But they are way quicker, responsive, and lets you dial in stuff in a much more precise way.

So all I’ve had experience with is my Rytm Mk1 and my mate’s 'takt. Literally every knob on the rytm (with the exception of the LFO mod depth param) has a resolution of 127 (or less in some instances) with no decimals. The takt, on the other hand, has a much finer resolution on pretty much every knob/ param.

So when Elektron went and marketed the mkii’s as having “hi-res encoders” I figured we’d be getting the same fine resolution for each parameter, but apparently that doesn’t seem to be the case with the OT mkii. I’m just asking if the same can be said of the A4 mkii, etc.

• Aaron
2 Likes

Ah, I understand better now, thank you. I do not dare say. I do not have the knowledge to describe the difference in feel. If its the same, similar or totally different from Digitakt I can not say. If I find out I will post here :slight_smile:

Again, check @cuckoomusic’s video, you’ll see that there doesn’t seem to be decimals in the different values dialed… So no, I don’t think hi-res encoder mean hi-res values, at least so far. For the better, IMHO, as I found it a bit hard to dial precise values in DT.
Now for many parameter, A4 mk1 offers intermediate states : knob circle on the screen gets a bit larger while 127 based value doesn’t change. This is pretty much the missing decimals on integer based values, on filter freq for instance.

2 Likes